Computer Help forum

General discussion

2 Hard Drives on 1 computer

by elgatoman / January 27, 2008 6:12 AM PST

What I want to do is have 2 hard drives on the same computer and have each configured so that I can click my computer and browse the 2 drives separately in that way.

My operating system is Millennium Edition and the computer in question is an HP Pavilion 7845.

Currently, I have the hard drives configured so that one is master and the other is slave, the computer starts as it usually does but the slave hard drive is not anywhere to be found.

If this is not possible then please tell me what is possible, I am willing to make compromises.

(if it is at all relevant, the slave hard drive used to be connected to a computer running Windows XP Pro)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 Hard Drives on 1 computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 Hard Drives on 1 computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AHA!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 6:18 AM PST

That other drive is likely to be formatted in NTFS. Sadly there are NO tools to enable you to read that format in Windows ME.

HOWEVER there is PARTITION MAGIC which could "convert" that NTFS to FAT32 and then it will show up on your Windows ME "My Computer."

Bob

Collapse -
partition magic question
by elgatoman / January 27, 2008 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: AHA!

how can I use partition magic on the ntsf hard drive if the computer can't recognize it?

Would I have to designate that hard drive as the master temporarily to do this?

Collapse -
There is a fine difference from...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 6:29 AM PST

The computer recognizing the drive or the Windows ME operating system recognizing the drive. Partition Magic works with the other file systems so it can convert it.

You only need to decide if you need any files from that drive. If not, just start over like you did before with any hard disk you prepare for Windows ME. Given the 7 some odd years you've run this OS, I'll stop here and not write how to prepare a hard disk with ME.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob
by JimmyCarter / January 27, 2008 8:31 AM PST

I was really pleased to see your answer... good job...

I love Partition Magic and it truly is magic....I can do anything with Partition Magic using XP or Vista...does not matter.

And they say it can't be done. Ha

Collapse -
WinME runs under FAT32 and Win XP for the most part is
by VAPCMD / January 27, 2008 6:18 AM PST

NTFS. If you format the 2nd HDD...the one with XP, using FAT32, that would solve the problem of accessing the 2nd drive.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.