Computer Help forum

General discussion

2 hard drives not communicating with each other.

by merrybrown / September 30, 2005 1:35 AM PDT

Since I got iTunes my memory was being eaten alive with podcasts. So my computer store folks suggested an additional hard drive on my computer. I am starting to get a low memory message, and yet nothing is being stored on the 80 GB HD. I don't know what will make the computer start recognizing and using the new larger storage space. I have transfered some stuff "by hand" but it's a very cumbersome process.
I have an HP Pavilion with Pentium 4 1.80 ghz x 2
and I run Windows XP. The hard drives are the 40GB original and an 80GB addition.
Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 hard drives not communicating with each other.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 hard drives not communicating with each other.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, but the system will NOT
by Ray Harinec / September 30, 2005 1:48 AM PDT

use the additional drive. It is up to you to place things on it.

When you download something you must redirect the download to the second drive. Once you develop the habit it really isn't difficult.

Here's a link to a MS article to relocate your My Documents folder(s) to that drive and make it the default.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310147

Collapse -
Does that apply to all programs or just the documents file?
by merrybrown / September 30, 2005 2:17 AM PDT

For example, can I move programs to automatically run from the other drive? Say I want to store all my iTunes stuff on that drive? Can I cut and paste to the other drive without losing anything?

Collapse -
done
by fakhan / October 10, 2005 2:11 AM PDT

Thanks for the help.Moving document from D to C helped me freeing the space. Thanks again. FA Khan

Collapse -
The following link...
by Edward ODaniel / September 30, 2005 2:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
2 drives on HP Pavilion
by jw1ls5n0129 / September 30, 2005 6:37 AM PDT

all I do is to redirect to the drive I want to use,
and as you have an HP.Pavilion then I take it that you have XP on your hard drive? if so and you want to use recovery tools then you must take the power plug off the second drive to reinstall XP .Kind Regards
Yohan.

Collapse -
OK What does that mean?
by merrybrown / September 30, 2005 12:42 PM PDT

take the power plug off?
Reinstall Windows XP? Do I delete it from my other drive?
With what? There were no CDs supplied with this PC. It's supposed to be self contained.
Am I missing something here? Probably. Can you break it down to simple language?

Collapse -
Ray you rock
by merrybrown / October 1, 2005 7:59 AM PDT

Thank you for helping point me to those two spots. My computer will now save stuff to the new hard drive, and it's even moving old documents there right now.
Thanks again Ray!
Mary

Collapse -
Are the two drives the same?
by David Jenkins / October 10, 2005 9:05 AM PDT

are the two drives the same? not the size, the brand?,
A similar problem occured with my system, trust your judgment on master and slave drives, if both drives are running as the same (Master), you will have conflict...
it is best to use two of the same brand and size, something to do with the way windows registers, be sure to format and partition your drive under the same form as the (controller drive) either ntfs format or other, depending on if you are using -xp-
which is -nt- format same as 2000 pro. once your drive is partitioned properly you should'nt have any problems no matter what the size..PS..You could just rotate drives using the 80gig for XP & 40gig for shelf storage & more mem....

Collapse -
Switching of hard drives
by erialf / October 19, 2005 2:58 PM PDT

I've had the same problem before and the solution is so easy. It is on the jumper switches of the hard drives. Your slave should be open switched while the master is switched different. You will need two jumpers for the master hard drive. It's so hard to draw the diagram using this applet, but you can email me if you are interested to know how I did it. But it can be done that I can assure.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?