Storage forum

General discussion

2 drives on Asus Desktop

by June45 / July 3, 2013 11:17 AM PDT

I have a desktop with 2 drives a C which shows up as windows and is 50gb and a D which shows up as Data and is 1.8tb. I was told that everything would automatically go where it was supposed to go. However when I tried to save a programme - it defaulted to C drive - the computer said I did not have enough space on the drive. It said I needed 15gb and I only had 13 gb. When I go to my menu I see that just about everything is on C drive and my D drive is just about empty. Can I just decide to save everything to D, or can I rename D to C and what do I do when things automatically want to go to C. Can I just change this to D.

If necessary will have to get a technician in, but I'm hoping someone can give me hints.

I back up both drives on an external drive.

Thank you - June

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 drives on Asus Desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 drives on Asus Desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 4:37 PM PDT

But I've never found this to be automatic. I never suggest a small C drive unless the owner is very PC savvy. It's far too much to ask new owners to cater to such a setup.

No. You can't rename D to C.

Collapse -
Are there really 2 internal hard drives or one hard drive
by VAPCMD / July 4, 2013 12:18 AM PDT

with 2 partitions like "C" and "D"?

Collapse -
2 drives
by June45 / July 4, 2013 7:36 AM PDT

Yes there are definitely 2 drives. The C drive has 59 gb and that is the one that is nearly full. The D drive has 1.8 Tb and that is the one that is nearly empty.

Thanks - June

Collapse -
My better judgement says there's really two physical drives.
by VAPCMD / July 4, 2013 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: 2 drives

as most systems have only one HDD....sometimes split or partitioned into two or more logical drives.

But if you're sure there are 2 separate physical drives mounted internally...the options are to replace the smaller HDD and image the smaller HDD to it. Or you could image the smaller drive (C) to the larger drive and use the 1.8TB HDD as your internal HDD.

Personally I like the idea of two internal HDDs as I use the 2nd HDD solely as a backup to the 1st HDD. With a second drive mounted internally, backups and restores are quick and easy. External HDDs are OK but usually less reliable as you can see from reading in this forum.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?