Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

2 Desktops 1 Monitor

by mrsubway / January 22, 2008 10:48 PM PST

Is it possible to have two desktops on one monitor? Not at the same time, but to be able to switch from one desktop to another.

I have a very cluttered desktop, but it is organized for me and I'm used to it.

I would like a second desktop to keep clean so I can put special files there.

I know this can be done with two monitors.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 Desktops 1 Monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 Desktops 1 Monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: two desktops
by Kees Bakker / January 22, 2008 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: 2 Desktops 1 Monitor
Collapse -
Multiple screens
by edsi1 / January 26, 2011 10:36 AM PST
In reply to: Re: two desktops

Kees, I think you may have the answer to my problem, I have a Vista and I want to do the same, do you know any link to download the same software for Vista. I tried to download it but it wont allow it in my pc. Thanks so much.

Collapse -
I found this review
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 27, 2011 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: Multiple screens
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-9902461-68.html

But it is from 2008.

If you Google Vista virtual desktop manager you will see more options. Just in case it matters though, make sure you check the system requirements. For example if you are using the 64 bit version of Vista, the software may need to be compatible with that.

Mark
Collapse -
Hello
by edsi1 / January 27, 2011 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: I found this review

Thanks for your help, I downloaded the software and it does not work. It just does not anything, I click on it and you can see it is installed but that is it. The only thing funny about it, is that it disabled my Norton anti-spyware software, so I have to re-install it again. Thanks again,
edsi1

Collapse -
KVM
by CornerStone__ / January 23, 2008 3:54 AM PST

there is a switch with a keyboard, video, and monitor. Just search google shopping KVM, make sure your video corresponds to the video cable, and COMES WITH CABLES. Should run about 40-100$ Good Luck

Collapse -
Yep, I use a KVM myself
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 4:10 AM PST
In reply to: KVM

and it works well.

On mine, I use CTRL, CTRL, 1 or CTRL, CTRL, 2 on the keyboard to switch between the two computers taking the keyboard, monitor and mouse with the switch.

Mark

Collapse -
Keyboard, Video, Mouse
by john3347 / January 25, 2008 2:08 PM PST

First off, KVM means "keyboard-video-mouse". You can get a KVM switch at most big box electronics outlets and at all specialty computer outlets both store locations and catalog order. Some also include audio and some do not, so if you want audio from either computer, you have to make sure you get one with that capability. Expect to pay $50 to $75 for a decent KVM switch to switch two computers in a home computer environment. There will normally be a keyboard button combination to switch between computers. The exact combination will vary between manufacturers. I use an IOGEAR model that works flawlessly. Some KVM switches use serial ports to connect to computer and some use USB (and maybe some use yet other methods) so make sure that whatever type connections are compatible with whatever machines you are connecting. If you don't feel sure of what features you require, just be prepared to spend just a few extra bucks (which may save you some headaches in the long run) and go to a computer specialty store and let them help you select the model that suits your needs and requirements. This KVM setup, of course, also eliminates the need for duplicate keyboards, mice, and speakers as well as monitor.

Collapse -
I do it
by tedtks / January 25, 2008 4:41 PM PST

but I have a dell monitor. on the front is an input selection
button. my main pc is hdmi. my secondary pc uses composit.
when I switch, I just press the input select button and
I am on the other iput. there is 4 input on the baby.
ted
Happy

Collapse -
2 Desktops 1 Monitor
by redgort / January 25, 2008 8:53 PM PST

Hello
I used the box below, you do need 2 new male to male vga leads to go with the one you have, but all together it cost be about

Collapse -
KVM Switch
by willum08 / January 25, 2008 9:40 PM PST

I've been using the "Belkin Omniview 2-Port KVM Switch with Built-In Cabling, PS/2" for a long time and find it really great! The key combination to switch between PCs is simply Scroll Lock x2 then Up Arrow or Down Arrow. It comes complete with all leads attached and does not need any extra power supply. I use the PS/2 connections option for mouse and keyboard but there are also versions of this device which use USB for the mouse and keyboard and another version which includes the Audio connections.
You can see these items here : http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Belkin+KVM&Go.x=8&Go.y=11

Collapse -
Snap!
by madasahatter7 / January 26, 2008 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: KVM Switch

I also use this Belkin KVM switch and find it so easy to use....as you have already said....hit scrill lock twice and use the 'up' and 'down' keys to swap between computers. It's the best!

Collapse -
Desktops, not computers
by 3rdalbum / January 25, 2008 9:47 PM PST

I believe the OP was asking about virtual desktops, like on Linux; rather than connecting multiple computers to the same monitor.

Can the software that has been suggested give four, eight, sixteen etc desktops? And does it emulate the Compiz cube from GNU/Linux? (if you don't know what I mean, look up "Compiz" on Youtube)

Collapse -
Maybe we've misunderstood??
by willum08 / January 25, 2008 9:51 PM PST

Having thought about my last posting, some of us might have given the wrong response?? Maybe when 'mrsubway' mentions '2 desktops' he means Desktop Displays on his monitor and not Desktop PCs??
In which case it is a software solution, which was posted by Kees.......

Collapse -
do you want to have one monitor ?
by howjef / January 26, 2008 6:09 AM PST

If you want one monitor and you want to have the desktop display two different ways.

A possibility is to set up another user name on your computer. It will then give you the opportunity to set up the second user desktop as you wish.
I have done this with ease in WinXP.
Actually , although I am the only user, I have set up three other users, each with its own desktop appearance.

See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/accounts.mspx

Collapse -
Ashampoo PowerupXP Platinum
by SamdarshXpress / January 26, 2008 6:47 AM PST

This is a software which can provide you many tweaks as well of your Windows and you can also handle four or more desktops at a time on a same monitor.
Plus point is that you have an option of adding more and more desktops and also you can subtract it.
So you can choose that how many desktops you want.

You can also contact me for a freeware copy of that software although it is a pro, i have its freeware special edition with me.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!