Computer Help forum

General discussion

2 Dead Power Supplys

by phill_ridout / August 14, 2006 3:18 AM PDT

Rite heres the deal, i was using my computer and every thing was fine, shut it down, and it hung i think. came to turn it on and nothing dead, checked everything, power lead, fuse, ect. I came to the conclusion that the power supply was faulty, so i replaced it with a spare one i had. this 2 worked fine, untill i turend the computer off, and again it would not turn on. im running an athlon xp 2000+ on an msi mother board. and soloutions please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 Dead Power Supplys
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 Dead Power Supplys
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've been there. Link to pictures what happened to us.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: 2 Dead Power Supplys
http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

The story is that we had a handful of boards with this issue. The first clue was a machine that ate a power supply. We popped in another with 100 more Watts. It ate that one. We moved to the over 600 Watt PSU and it worked for another month but towards the end the user told us (after it blew up) that it was heating their work area.

The bad caps exploded in the case which made troubleshooting so simple. This issue continues to this day along with machines that get fitted with too small supplies.

Bob
Collapse -
Thanks but in not sure that that is it.
by phill_ridout / August 14, 2006 3:27 AM PDT

ive been using this set up for over 3 years now with no problem, it has only been the last two times ive turned my computer off that it has happened!

Collapse -
Why are you unsure?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 3:34 AM PDT

I supplied the link with pictures and that should have helped you verify if your board has the issue or not. Unless you didn't look (you didn't tell.)

You also didn't tell what size power supply you replaced it with. As the machines age the same capacitors even if not failing do degrade and the power supply works harder so when we have a failed supply we add about 100 Watts to the rating for the new unit.

Bob

Collapse -
re
by phill_ridout / August 14, 2006 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Why are you unsure?

'cause i cant find any bad caps, and if i did have any why would it fail when i turn it off? surely it would fail wen i am using the most power, such as when im playing a game?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) was a 350w replaced wiv a 150w
by phill_ridout / August 14, 2006 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: re
Collapse -
Hey, Phil, I don't usually get into these discussions
by William Randall / August 14, 2006 4:57 AM PDT

about power supplies, but my ONE question IS:

Why the hell would you replace a PSU of higher capacity with once that is sure to fail?

Makes no sense to me.

William

Collapse -
lol yeah it seams stupid
by phill_ridout / August 14, 2006 5:34 AM PDT

but it was the only 1 i had "lying arround" so to see if it was the powersupply or summin else, i subsituted it. it ran fine as well until i turned it off!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I think you've nailed this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 6:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
"surely it would fail wen i am using the most power, such as
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: re

I wish that such was always true. But rarely seems to be so.

Bob

Collapse -
so new motherboard and new powersupply?
by phill_ridout / August 14, 2006 6:52 PM PDT

so i assume that i need a new motherboard and powersupply rite?

My current setup:
AMD Athlon xp 2000+
MSI MotherBoard
768MB of DDR RAM
Geforce 5200 12mb GFX

it does everything i ask, so talking cost efective would it be best to get a new processor as well?

any ideas on a motherboard to replace my current 1 or motherboard + processor. Would need to be avalible in uk.

Thanks

Collapse -
Here in the US, supply is still plentiful.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2006 9:30 AM PDT

I have no favorites but if a new board is needed (how did you reach that verdict?) then there are many out there.

Bob

Collapse -
hmm not many in the uk
by phill_ridout / August 15, 2006 8:10 PM PDT

well if it is bad caps, then i cant afford to buy annother powersupply and have it die on me!

Collapse -
Our story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2006 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: hmm not many in the uk

We installed a 680 Watt PSU and rather than lose the power supply it blew the bad caps off the board.

I took a quick read of your posts and haven't seen where you write you did the visual inspections. Maybe you can post pictures on photo bucket or somewhere if you are not quite sure.

Newegg.com ships to England and there are many brits that post here with no issues in finding socket A boards.

Bob

Collapse -
visual inspections
by phill_ridout / August 16, 2006 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Our story.

Having a look i could not find any capacitors with the deformaties described on the link you posted. they all look in tip top condition. and im pritty used to what a cap looks like as that part of my job involves dealing wiv them.

Collapse -
Then the substandard supply is likely it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2006 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: visual inspections

I did read where you fitted a far smaller power supply. That rarely works well.

Bob

Collapse -
hmm
by phill_ridout / August 23, 2006 2:59 AM PDT

new powersupply came to day, i nice shiney antec. plugged it in and nothin!

i retested both of the old power supplies in the other computer which i used before(neither worked) but now they do, altho the fan on one is increadably noisey!

Collapse -
BOB's RIGHT
by Scrotes4Life / August 14, 2006 3:47 AM PDT

Bob's right.

Collapse -
Since old supplies now work that's a sign.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

Usually of a poorly built machine. Items such as extra mounting posts under the motherboard, loose screws, metal objects, boards that are popping out.

Time to consider a redo.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?