Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

2 CPUs, 2 Monitors, 1 keyboard & 1 Mouse

by zgeorgia / September 14, 2008 7:32 AM PDT

I have 2 CPUs (both XP), 2 Monitors (LCDs) 1 Keyboard & 1 Mouse. How do I connect everything together? I tried to use a KVM Switcher, but it only supports 1 monitor and if I use a splitter (Y cable) on the KVM on the monitor it makes the monitors mirror each other. I'm trying to use dual monitors for each CPU. Is this possible? I also looked into the software package Synergy, but there were limitations there too. Please advise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 CPUs, 2 Monitors, 1 keyboard & 1 Mouse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 CPUs, 2 Monitors, 1 keyboard & 1 Mouse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: KVM switch
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 7:39 AM PDT

Those date from way back, when PC's only had one monitor. I don't know of any KVVM-switch. So that would be 2 KVM-switches, one fully used and one only for the second monitor (-V-, so to speak).

I see no reason why that shouldn't work.

Kees

Collapse -
2 KVM Suggestion Question
by zgeorgia / September 14, 2008 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: KVM switch

Where is the 2nd KVM connected? Also, what would be done with the extra PS2 Keyboard & Mouse connections? I'm not sure about this working - wouldn't the hot-swap switching capability be compromised too?

Collapse -
My suggestion.
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 7:55 AM PDT

Connect the second KVM to the second video-out on both PC's and the second monitor. Just like the V-part of the first KVM is for the first monitor.
And don't use the keyboard and mouse connections. Those are handled by the first KVM.

What shouldn't work?

Kees

Collapse -
One more KVM Question
by zgeorgia / September 14, 2008 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: My suggestion.

The secondary PC only has 1 video output, the primary PC has the 2 vide outputs, will that matter? What about networking the computers somehow? Are there any other video switching options?

Collapse -
With one video output ...
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 4:59 PM PDT
In reply to: One more KVM Question

you can't get dual display, of course.

So you can connect the second monitor to your computer that can for the moment without KVM switch and turn it on and off when needed.

Kees

Collapse -
1 with and 1 without
by zgeorgia / September 15, 2008 2:16 PM PDT

Kees,
Thank you for your assistance, attaching the second monitor to the primary CPU independently works!

Collapse -
Are you trying to have dual display on each computer?
by ahtoi / September 14, 2008 3:21 PM PDT

If yes then are the computer capable of doing that individually to begin with?

Collapse -
Dual display on each Computer
by zgeorgia / September 15, 2008 2:13 PM PDT

Yes, I was going to attempt it, but I'm not sure about whether or not the secondary CPU can support the second monitor. In the interim, I've connected the second monitor to the primary computer outside of the KVM and it's working.

Thanks!

Collapse -
2CPUs - 1K2V1M
by loveto_sing / July 7, 2011 2:50 PM PDT

What if you don't connect either monitor to the KVM switch and just route the K & M through the switch? Not a techno geek, but I don't see why that wouldn't work?? NO?? Let me know.. Good Luch

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!