Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

2 computers, 3 printers, 2 scanners

by Cycleman / February 27, 2005 9:04 AM PST

I have two computers now. I would like to connect both to my 3 printers, a flat bed scanner, and a film scanner.

Both computers are running XP, and all devices are compatible with XP.

What device/brand of equipment would I need to be able to use both computers with each device?

All peripherals use USB 2.0 connectors.

Thanks.

Al

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 computers, 3 printers, 2 scanners
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 computers, 3 printers, 2 scanners
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
computers connection
by dedub / February 27, 2005 9:31 AM PST

First, are those computers connected to the internet? If they are, How? That will determine what gear you will need in a way. If they are not connected to the internet then the answer is easy; a $20.00 4 port switch. Several companies make them to include D-Link, Linksys and Netgear and can be found anywhere. Run Cat-5 cable to the switch from each computer and now they are connected. Share your printers, folders, Programs or what ever you want. Do a small amount of reseach on running Private IP address on both computers, an IP is what computers need to communicate with each other and there are some rules that have to be followed. If one or more of those computers are connected to the internet then how? If you have High speed internet without a router then you should get one . They can be found now for $40.00 on sale and it will take care of your networking issue also. Most these days have a built in 4 port switch incorporated into them. Well Good luck and post if you have any more questions

Collapse -
here's more info on this...
by Cycleman / February 27, 2005 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: computers connection

Sorry, I guess I needed to provide more info...

Yes, both computers are connected to the net. I have a cable modem, which then goes into a Linksys 4 port Firewall (hardwired) router.

Both computers are controlled through a KVM switch.

Collapse -
I think, the scanner can not be shared.
by Gakada / February 28, 2005 1:14 AM PST

as for the printer, you should get a printer server... it can be wireless or wired to the network.

checkout linksys.com

Good Luck

Collapse -
A few references...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2005 1:59 AM PST

1. Scanner sharing. In short, only if the scanner has sharing capability. Niegh impossible after the fact with a blatent exception to doing so with Linux and command line scan commands. The Linux solution is something that if you knew about and could do, would do and not be asking around.

2. Page down and read the responses about such at http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Scanners/HP_Scanners/Q_20169878.html

3. Printer sharing on your network in Windows is supported, supported and supported. Other solutions may be a LAN PRINTER SERVER. Your choice if you want to do that. Most will just install printers on PCs and share them.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Bob,...
by Cycleman / March 3, 2005 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: A few references...

My problem was that I was ignorant of the how-to's of networking. I didn't realize that I could use the existing router to accomplish that. I thought I needed a separate hub. Goes to show you how much of newbie I am. Anyway, after I figured out that I could network through the router, things are fine. I decided to skip the print server option, since all the printers could be shared, and since it matters not which machine has the scanners (I can just move the files into shared folders), all is well.

I wish I knew more about this stuff before I open my mouth....

Collapse -
Keep opening that and the mind.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2005 12:48 AM PST
In reply to: Bob,...

Not everyone will know what we discussed and bringing it up on the table is how many figure out what is possible.

Best of continued luck and the scanner solution you use is usually what people do after they figure how complex scanner sharing can be (or expensive!)

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!