Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

2 computers

by denimlover / March 28, 2004 2:06 PM PST

We have had 2 computers for many years, we are connected through a Linksys router and all of a sudden, computer #2 cannot connect to the internet...this has been going on and off for the past week, we were on the phone for almost 2 hours last night, 1 (the main) computer is now on line but the second one is not..tech support (?) says its the realtek in the second computer that has to be fixed...thinking of calling an in home repair company..any suggestions from anyone??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:2 computers
by glb613 / March 28, 2004 7:25 PM PST
In reply to: 2 computers

Try doing a repair. Go to the control panel, open network and internet connections then network connections. Right click on your network and select repair.

Collapse -
by danfilipi / March 29, 2004 6:11 AM PST

I this a wireless setup?
If so, then you have some interference. I have wireless, nothing but trouble and i'm going back to hardwire.
Also check all the wiring, you say, goes on and off, maybe there's a loose ethernet cable, follow everything back.
Update the NIC driver, worth a try.

Collapse -
by beachminstrel / March 29, 2004 6:33 AM PST

I had a similar problem until about 3 weeks ago. The Roadrunner tech #1 claimed that his signal was OK. I upgraded to a 4 port Linksys instead of the entry level one from another company. No luck. finally I spoke with tech #2 and he had a guy come out and check it. He said the outside fittings were bad. It might be good to insist that they send out a tech to check it at your place.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!