Networking & Wireless forum

Resolved Question

2 apartments network

by zedochok / July 28, 2011 2:42 PM PDT

I should connect apartment 2 network to ap1 network and provide it with internet.
Equipment is as on drawing, wep is disabled, ap router from ap1 and
ap client from ap2 are properly connected via channel 13, 54mbps. Signal
is 70db.

Problem is that computers from ap2 cannot ping anything beyond 192.168.1.131.

Where did I do wrong? How should be DHCP config?

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2904/copyofnetwork.jpgBy zedochok at 2011-07-28

zedochok has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 apartments network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 apartments network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Maybe I'm dumb here
by Steven Haninger / July 28, 2011 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: 2 apartments network

It looks like you've bridged from one network to another. I can't think of a reason for a second router. The one in apt #1 should be able to provide DHCP addresses to PCs in both locations.

Collapse -
Problem persists
by zedochok / July 29, 2011 7:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe I'm dumb here

I dont quite understand you, wireless router 192.168.1.1 is now DHCP enabled, rest of them are dhcp disabled.
Basic problem is that I san not acess 192.168.1.130 from ap#2 computers, and 192.168.1.131 from ap#1 computers. Not even with ping.
Both APs are TP-link tl-wr543g with latest firmware, one set in router mode, another in client mode, connected properly, dhcp disabled on both.

Collapse -
That bridge doesn't sound right
by Steven Haninger / July 29, 2011 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem persists

I don't know those brands/models but what I've done is use two APs in bridge mode. As I recall, I needed to enter their MAC addresses from each to the other. In bridge mode, however, clients cannot connect so you'd need another AP to broadcast the signal. My I've only needed to do this once and the remote bridge went to a switch and the that end of the network was wired. In any event...and from the drawing...you're connecting two network legs via a wireless bridge so I'm presuming that copper is not an option.

Collapse -
bridge
by zedochok / July 29, 2011 3:27 PM PDT

Here is screenshot from ap-s web interface, I can enter several AP-s mac adresses to bridge, howewer on the other side (client) there is only connecting without entering mac-s

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1763/bridgea.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.us

I presume problem here lies in settings of one of theese routers, or both.

Collapse -
About these apartments
by Steven Haninger / July 30, 2011 7:54 PM PDT
In reply to: bridge

Any chance for using copper? If they're not physically attached, I'd go underground and use the proper type for that purpose. If you can DIY, it could be cheaper than using all this wireless hardware and definitely more reliable.

Collapse -
copper
by zedochok / August 1, 2011 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: About these apartments

no way for wires Sad
Apt1 and Apt2 are not so close to each other...

Collapse -
Ok, if the problem is distance and not
by Steven Haninger / August 1, 2011 6:49 PM PDT
In reply to: copper

other physical barriers, you may also have problems getting a good wireless signal from one to the other. You'll probably need directional outdoor antennas. Good luck

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by zedochok

Collapse -
Ok. Let me share a setup I've used too many times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2011 1:45 AM PDT

When I need to extend my range I've used a common router but set it up as a WAP. This is covered in the CNET Networking Forum sticky as well as GOOGLE "How to use a router as a WAP."

With that out of the way, I place this WAP where it gets the best shot at reaching my other location.

Now on the other side I can use a GAMING BRIDGE or a bridge that I used many times as a WIFI CLIENT is the WGPS606

The GAMING BRIDGE or WGPS606 is also placed where it has the best shot at connecting to the WAP (which I used a common router) and at that point I can test connectivity by plugging into the bridge's ethernet ports.

If I want to get wifi coverage in that area I add one more router as a WAP and I'm done.

That's my formula that I've used too many times. Due to failures of those "bridges" I had to come up with something that I could make work.
Bob

Collapse -
maybe this is reason
by zedochok / August 1, 2011 7:29 AM PDT

I have read what you suggested me, and I did all like people wrote there, thing is still not working.

Maybe this is problem, it is my final guess:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3973/opmode.jpg

This router has only these two modes, there is not regular Client mode?

Collapse -
I didn't find where you did it like I have.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2011 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: maybe this is reason

And you're right. Maybe these are not the right parts. After all this I thought it best to share my old setup that I've used ... too many times.
Bob

Collapse -
SOLUTION
by zedochok / August 3, 2011 5:17 AM PDT

Yes that is the problem, few minutes ago I replaced router TP-link tl-wr543g from Apt2 with regular AP with regular Client mode, and in a few minutes internet is in Apt2!!

Modes of LevelOne AP:http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2509/levelone.jpg

Thank you all for your time and efforts, and remember (because I will) that TP-link tl-wr543g CANNOT be used as regular Client AP!

Collapse -
Thanks for the report.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2011 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: SOLUTION

And right or wrong I find the maker's support lines for this sort of setup to be quite poor.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
What's odd is those addresses on AP2.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2011 7:28 AM PDT

Those should be from the DHCP pool dispensed from the router that does DHCP for the entire complex.

Also there can be issues with what you used for GATEWAY entries all around. I don't see the NETMASK, GATEWAY and more in the diagram. I am guessing this is new ground for you.
Bob

Collapse -
dhcp
by zedochok / July 29, 2011 3:34 PM PDT

Hi Bob, this is not really new ground for me, I have some experience on it.

Dhcp server is 192.168.1.1 and ap2 cannot reach it so it has problem obtaining adresses automatically.

Gateway is 192.168.1.1/24.

Any information you request will be added to diagram, I would really appreciate help on this one

Collapse -
That's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2011 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: dhcp

Sorry but the make, model of the devices are eluding me. Without them I can't check if they block or don't bridge the DHCP.
Bob

Collapse -
model
by zedochok / July 30, 2011 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a clue.

Both APs are TP-link tl-wr543g with latest firmware,

Collapse -
The manual never revealed what is passed over the bridge.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2011 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: model

Nothing in the manual tells me the bridge mode will do what you want.

Unless the maker tells more, I'd get my money back or try other modes.
Bob

Collapse -
I will try all other modes
by zedochok / July 31, 2011 1:36 AM PDT

Yes you are right, all options are drained. I will try to get at least one AP more for testing.

Thank you for your time Bob!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.