Linux forum

General discussion

2.6 kernel and ide-scsi

As there is no module ide-scsi in the 2.6 kernrls, how does one use cd/dvd writing programs that only work with "scsi" devices. I back my system up to DVD and have benn using dvdrecord (with a 2.4 kernel system) to do so. However dvdrecord won't work with atapi writers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2.6 kernel and ide-scsi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2.6 kernel and ide-scsi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: 2.6 kernel and ide-scsi

In reply to: 2.6 kernel and ide-scsi

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: 2.6 kernel and ide-scsi

Bob, I appreciate the effort you put into your reply and I don't want to seem ungrateful but did you actually read my question?
The link you thoughtfully provided tells me nothing I need to know as I've been using the 2.4 kernel with scsi emulation for my burners for some time now. Asking my question on this forum IS part of my research into the 2.6 kernel's "no ide-scsi module" situation. In the absence of a coherent reply you can rest assured I will continue my research elsewhere. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -

I also appreciate the detail you put into your post. K3b is working in the newer kernals I've tried so maybe there is an update to dvdburner you need to find. Or your install is mugged in some way.

Some get a little testy that linux is not an OS that you find all answers to.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: 2.6 kernel and ide-scsi

There has been a device "namespace" change for CD/DVD burners. Most all GUI writing programs are little more than graphic front-ends to cdrecord/dvdrecord.

The "old" way was to run 'cdrecord -scanbus' (or dvdrecord -scanbus) to find out what the cd/dvd writer was named in 'interface,id,LUN' format. Then pass the result from that to the cdrecord commandline dev parameter (such as):

cdrecord dev=1,2,0 foo.iso

(or whatever). This method was not very "user friendly" to say the least and the dev would change when you plugged in, say, a USB or firewire CD-RW. For all you wanted to know about the issue and more see:
http://lwn.net/Articles/97469/

So on 2.6.x systems (mine is currently FC2 v2.6.Cool the cd writing device is now /dev/cdwriter --> /dev/hdc. This is a good thing, IMO, though I had no problem with running 'cdrecord -scanbus' in the past. But it was a PITA to n00bs and also awkward for the GUI frontend writers. When I get a DVD writer (in the mail) it will, presumably, be called /dev/dvdwriter.

How your particular distro may handle this may vary. Since RH9 all I have had to do was insert some blank media in the CD-R on my machine and it would be automagically detected and a Nautilus "burner" window would pop-up and all one had to do was drag-and-drop the files one wanted to burn to the window. This is even easier than Windows or Mac OS X... it "just works". No extra programs to install and learn how to use.

For your problem... you can still use 'dvdrecord -scanbus' to discover the device name and you can still use the old 'X,Y,Z' device name or the /dev/hdX device name. If you use a GUI dvdrecord front-end it should handle this automagically.

The old way of having to use a boot parameter such as, 'hdc=ide-scsi' is now gone.... and good riddance.

-DU-...etc...

Collapse -

Thank you David. I had found similar info on the web just googling araound and I have found that cdrecord -scanbus does indeed report my atapi burner as 1,0,0 however when I tried to pass this param to dvdrecord ( as the backup program, mondoarchive, is text based with no gui frontend) it produces an error and the backup program bombs. When I tried dvdrecord -scanbus it procuced an error message ( I don't recall the wordinf at the moment). perhaps the version od dvdrecord I' using is out of date? I didn't install it separately and it's hard to believe the version packaged with FC2 would not be the appropriate one for use with FC2. I'll keep at it (as usual). I have to admit that once I started putting in a little more time researching some of the "glitches" FC2 works pretty well except for 3D support of my graphics adapter (Radeon Mobility 9600). The loss of taps from my touchpad was daunting at first but the psmouse.proto=imps boot parameter fixed that.

Collapse -

dvdrecord is part of the cdrecord package. On my FC2 systems I have:

rpm -q cdrecord
cdrecord-2.01-0.a27.4.FC2.1
rpm -q kernel
kernel-2.6.8-1.521

Which are the stock updated versions from Fedora.

As I mentioned earlier... I don't have my DVD burner yet so I can't test dvdrecord. Did you try passing 'dev=/dev/hdc' (or whatever your DVD burner is) to your backup program? That is, replace '1,0,0' with '/dev/hdc' as a parameter to the program.

-DU-...etc...

Collapse -

Yes I have tried passing a device name to dvdrecord such as /dec/hdc, ATAPI:1,0,0 , ATA:1,0,0 etc. to no avail. The output of cdrecord -scanbus follows:

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J

Collapse -
Re: Is this the latest?

In reply to: Is this the latest?

I found that rpm was not the exact one for me but you got me pointed in the right direction. The correct updated rpm corrects the problem. dvdrecord now likes the dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 param.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.