Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

1st homebuild finished ...what next?

by taff1975 / January 24, 2009 4:11 AM PST

Just built my own system ...Brand new i7-920,asusp6t delux oc. edition,3Gb Corsair dominator 1600 (in triple channel config)Ati 4670 west dig 320Gb HDD(16Mb cache)cooled with a triton 81 also secondhand and rather old but servicable CD-RW with a Corsair TX650W psu all in a Thermaltake Shark case... I have finished the ststem and was supposed to be getting a retail version of vista ultimate w/sp1 but ebuyer screwing me around anmd so I want to put tyhe home basic oem I got with my first bought pc 18 months ago but when I boot up with the disk in the CD RW it just says select proper boot device and press any key ( or something like that)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1st homebuild finished ...what next?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1st homebuild finished ...what next?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: installing OEM XP
by Kees Bakker / January 24, 2009 4:38 AM PST

I'd start with reading the license that came with that OEM version. It might well be it's tied to the original PC you bought. Then it's illegal to use it for this totally new one. If that's the case, start buying a new license.
What version of XP is it, by the way? Original, SP1, SP2, SP3? And what kind of a disk (ATA, SATA)? What boot device did you select?

In case of error messages, it's essential you post the full and litteral text of the message (without typo's) and not something like it.

Kees

Collapse -
not xp ..vista
by taff1975 / January 24, 2009 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: Re: installing OEM XP

its not xp its vista and the drive is a sata also I am not talking about ripping off our friend mr gates I have an o/s on its way but I spent 12 hours building thispuppy finished at 6am was looking forward to taking it for a spin got let down at the last minute so this is stop gap for a few days and also damn good learning

Collapse -
Re: Vista home basic
by Kees Bakker / January 24, 2009 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: not xp ..vista

Sorry, my fault. If you're interested if your new machine works, it's (more or less) acceptable to use that old disk for that purpose.
You won't be able to activate it, and it might even refuse to install (because it doesn't recognize the machine), but it's worth a try.

So now we that (in principle) it should start, but we don't know what the exact error message was, and what boot device you selected. Both might be interesting if the message was about a boot device or something like that.

Kees

Collapse -
boot device
by taff1975 / January 24, 2009 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Vista home basic

I believe if I have interpreted the very nervous tip toe I had around the BIOS earlier correctly then the boot device is a 3 1/2 inch floppy thatr I don't have although it does recognise my sata and ide CD-RW also I have dug out an old crt monitor and a keyboard etc and the new system is online beside me so any fixes can be tried out immediatley

Collapse -
exact error message is as follows
by taff1975 / January 24, 2009 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: not xp ..vista

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

the message appears just as ive written it and then it repeats underneath over and over scrolling down

Collapse -
That's a BIOS message.
by Kees Bakker / January 24, 2009 5:06 AM PST

What boot device did you specify in the BIOS? It seems the BIOS thinks it's improper or not connected or there is not a boot disk in it.

All you told you put a disk in the DVD-drive. And that's an old drive. So what we don't know:
(1) Is it a functioning boot-disk (try on another PC)?
(2) Is the BIOS set to boot from the DVD-drive?
(3) Is the DVD-drive correctly connected (power and data)
(4) Does the DVD-drive work in another PC?
(5) Can you see and hear the DVD drive working (LED lighting up, rotating)?

I think you've got some testing to do.

Kees

Collapse -
test boot disk in another pc.. how?
by taff1975 / January 24, 2009 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: That's a BIOS message.

the CD RW works i took it out of a working if aged hp pavillion running me it is connected correctly and functionong ie spinning n flashing , I don't know how to test the boot cd on another pc especially as the only other pc already has it installed from factory and as for the Boot sequence in BIOS ..I think youre right its not set to boot from the CD RW but and this is another interesting thing all the drives that are detexcted thats the..floppy that doesn't exist tha brand new sata HDD and the CD RW are all disabled in the BIOS menu and I did swop the CD RW up to the top of the list ..I think! but nothing new happened when I re booted

Collapse -
message for kees
by taff1975 / January 24, 2009 8:28 AM PST

Hiya mate its taff here I took your advice and swopped a dvd rewriter out of a pc i was sorting for my stepson and into my new system to see if it made any difference and vista loaded first time so looks like there was something up with the CD RW so cheers mate i can have a play about while i wait for ultimate to turn up from e buyer bye for now have a good un;-)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.