Question

1998 Jeep Cherokee sport v6

It was not starting with no crank, multiple attempts would finally start it, only happening once every week or 2. Hooked up at autozone. Gave me a camshaft sensor code. I accidentally replaced the crankshaft sensor instead. Afterwards when I first start it up and take up, the rpms fluntuate like crazy for about 10 min. After shutting off and starting a couple times it drives like a charm, like it needed to warm up? But obviously not. I have ordered the camshaft sensor I originally needed,still waiting on it. but is the new crank sensor causing new issues? Or is it the cam sensor just getting worse? The rpm issue happened the next day after changing the crank sensor. Code for the camshaft sensor issue was “P1391 CKP or CMP sensor signal intermittent “

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 1998 Jeep Cherokee sport v6
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 1998 Jeep Cherokee sport v6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
There are web pages about these sensors.
- Collapse -
My post

Thank you for your reply!

- Collapse -
Answer
CKS

Hi, Jbowman; Crank sensor failures are VERY common on Chrys. products. Doesn't surprise me at all.
Both the crank and cam sensors are cheap and easy to replace. If you had the battery disconnected while replacing the cam sensor, the PCM may have lost it's KAM. Sometimes, it takes a few minutes for the PCM to relearn. Also, it is very common that the CKS won't even set a code. You should be "good to go" after you replace the CKS. (buy a good quality one....NAPA or dealer).
Good luck.
Loren

CNET Forums

Forum Info