Auto Repair forum

General discussion

1989 jeep cherokee interchangeable with 1986 jeep cherokee??

by jeep_ferret / February 27, 2010 4:13 AM PST

Hello everyone!

I have an 1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer, 4 door, 4.0 liter, 4 wheel drive. My back hatch is no longer working due to a crack in the side of the door when I bought it finally broke all the way through. My son has an 1986 jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2 door, 4.0 liter, 4 wheel drive.

Are the back hatches interchangeable? In fact I have been trying to find a list of interchangeable parts between the two so that I can take what I can for my jeep. His jeep does not have a rear end and it doesn't look like he will be doing any work on it, so I want what I can take off myself and sell his and put the money towards a vehicle for him.

If anybody knows where I can find a list without having to paying a fee, I would appreciate it. I do not have a lot of mechanical experience, but have done some minor work and am willing to learn. I love my jeep, we've been through a lot together, my husband wants me to get another vehicle. He just doesn't like my jeep and my jeep doesn't like him! Maybe I should get another husband :)!!

Any help with this matter will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

jeep_ferret

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1989 jeep cherokee interchangeable with 1986 jeep cherokee??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1989 jeep cherokee interchangeable with 1986 jeep cherokee??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE :
by diane.jsmith / March 13, 2010 12:38 AM PST

Sorry,
I don't have enough knowledge about this matter.
i just suggest you should take help of any experience person or you also take help of search engine to find it.
Best of Luck

Collapse -
Based on my research...
by Cyberfool / March 18, 2010 7:40 PM PDT

Looking at hatches listed on eBay (just now) it appears that '84-'96 Jeep Cherokee hatches are interchangeable, provided they have the same features, i.e. rear defroster, with/without spare tire carrier on back, & with/without power door lock mechanism. (Grand Cherokees ARE different)

You may need to purchase a repair manual for your truck to show you how to swap out the keyed tumbler on the back door, or you'll have to add one of your son's keys to your key ring if you want to lock/unlock the rear door with the key from the outside.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.