Laptops forum

General discussion

$198.00 Laptop

by fiftydeep / September 6, 2009 4:54 AM PDT

This Wednesday there was a full page ad for a Comptek laptop computer for only $198.00 in my local paper. You can get this laptop in (4) colors, complete with WindowsXP, Outlook, and etc. I could not find any reviews on this computer on Cnet. I can't find any info on this product. The website has a claim code to access their site.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: $198.00 Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: $198.00 Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by 1shado1 / September 7, 2009 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: $198.00 Laptop

And your point is?

Collapse -
Here's
by 1shado1 / September 7, 2009 12:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2009 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's

Let me copy/paste the relevant passage. It's just one sentence.

"f you read the fine print in the ad (which is designed to look like a legitimate news report, but that's another story), you learn you pay $188 now....and then have to pay another $188 in two weeks if you decide to keep the computer."

Collapse -
Thanks for info
by fiftydeep / September 7, 2009 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the information. There are other laptops/notebooks out there that would give this laptop a run for it's money, at that price.

Collapse -
Thanks
by fiftydeep / September 7, 2009 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's

Thanks for the info.

Collapse -
What a scam!
by mydogjill / November 27, 2009 1:04 AM PST

This group is one of the worst I've seen. Taking advantage of people with the ads that show a computer for $198 plus small print of another $198 plus shipping (which isn't indicated on the website, so I'm sure these creeps are charging $25 or more for that too). You know who responds to these junk ads (with their time limits and special codes), the same one who bought the plastic Amish heater. Low of the low! Poor folks, who probably buy with a credit card with high interest, then the cheap computer ends up costing them $600 or more. Creeps. They're immoral. There ought to be a law.

Collapse -
Why do guys do such stuuf
by ayems / February 17, 2010 3:56 PM PST

I think alot of people will respond to the ad and afterwords be disappointed with the conditions attached to the purchase of the LApToP. Thanks

Collapse -
Misleading Newspaper ad
by seabee50 / November 27, 2010 10:20 PM PST

I should have seen this before I purchased the laptop, really a netbook or less, for $174. I bought two; had to call the telephone provider to set it up, and have never been able to get into it. There is no USB port and though intentions were to use it to view television programs. Hasn't worked and I wish there was a way to keep misleading ad out of the paper.

Seabe50

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?