General discussion

18 updates....

every single time I turn off my Windows 7 machine (64bit) it has 18 updates to install.... and it takes about 5-10 minutes to shut down.

Is there really that many updates or is something funky with the updates or ?

How do I fix this.. it's really annoying and has been doing it for probably a month now.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 18 updates....
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 18 updates....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Tell us more about this

For example in my Vista I have 44 Optional updates to install. They are mostly language pack updates and since I have trouble even speaking my home language of English, I see no need to embarrass myself further trying to cope with other languages, Happy

Have a look at those Windows updates and see what they are. To do that, click the Start bubble, goto the Control Panel, then open the Windows Update icon.

In the new window do you see anything that says "18 updates available"? If so, click that, and it should list the updates.

You may find they are 'Optional Updates' and if so, they can be de-selected if you don't want them. If they are recommended updates, I would install them.

Does that help?

Mark

- Collapse -
here's the 'more'

Well, armed with that info i went in pursuit of the updates; this morning, there are 18 important updates, and 37 optional update. the 18 are all for Office 2007. I don't see anything that is actually Windows 7 related in the 'important updates'

Yes there are a bunch of language updates in the 37, and 3 that are really Windows 7 related.

So to re-phrase the obviously erroneous original question.... I have 18 MS Office updates that are constantly trying to install every time I shut down my computer....... why are they not installing and going away?

Is there a place to find the error codes if these fail to install so I can try to track them down... or someway to set it so it only tries to do office 2007 updates every friday after 10pm or something instead of every time it shuts down?

Thanks!

Dan

- Collapse -
Sorry no.

Update install failures are now legendary but there appears to be no one place to resolve them and the codes while helpful at times tell us not much more than the install failed.

Here's what I found as I fix many of these. For the .NET failures I learned to remove/uninstall .NET and install .NET again.

For other failures I learned to uninstall a firewall or antivirus suite to remove the obstacles.

And then I ran into some "Activator" for Windows 7 and some CORPORATE VERSIONS of Office and this OS. Those are not fun and if you have either of these then updates are locked out and supposed to fail by design. This one is a hard lesson for some.
Bob

- Collapse -
You might try installing the new Windows Update Agent ...

CNET Forums

Forum Info