Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

176: This system has been tampered with/IBM 300PL/Win98

by MomIs4Math / August 1, 2005 12:17 PM PDT

I thought formatting the hard drive would eliminate the error message, but no such luck. From reading another similar problem it seems a bios upgrade may help. Where can I find the proper bios upgrade?
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 176: This system has been tampered with/IBM 300PL/Win98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 176: This system has been tampered with/IBM 300PL/Win98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ibm.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2005 10:31 PM PDT
Collapse -
update
by paisano / August 15, 2005 9:28 PM PDT

Did updating your bios work? I've tried doing that but it never fixed that problem. We've got about 40 IBM 300's sitting in a storage room with the same problem. Would be nice if we could resolve it.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Some don't do the work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2005 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: update

A phone call could have resolved this. How odd that with 40 machines, people still will not make the call.

Bob

Collapse -
call?
by paisano / August 19, 2005 1:54 AM PDT

We've called and nothing's worked.
We've just replaced this older units with new computers. Still, would be nice to be able to use them for something.

Collapse -
Call them again with a phone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2005 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: call?

Many make one call, fail or keep trying by email. The issue is well known and they did at one time hand out the file needed or the procedure.

Again, what I usually find is some IT staffer that won't put in the time and effort required.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob's post says most of it...
by Edward ODaniel / August 16, 2005 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: update

but here is some more specifics.

You apparently have a machine with asset control hardware sensors, and they may be failing. When, exactly, do these messages appear? Right at startup before any of the Windows screens?

These messages usually come from the BIOS level and don't have much of anything to do with the operating system, though they may pass messages to it.

It is possible - if your machine is used and was obtained from a large company - that it has some asset control software running as a service. If you locate this (MSCONFIG, the Services tab can help you with this) you can simply disable it.

You might want to look closely at the security settings in the machine's BIOS, and turn off whatever appears to be related to this. Past that, find a service manual for that machine - if you look carefully at the manufacturer's site you should be able to find that- and disconnect the sensors, after turning off the BIOS settings. You might need to have some small amount of professional service for this.

Since your company seems stumped I would suggest that it is likely a BIOS setting rather than any specific asset control software in your case. Calling the manufacturer with specifics is the quickest way to "solve the problem".

Collapse -
Ibm 300 pl
by rhymeology / September 5, 2005 8:43 AM PDT

I had the same problem with my ibm 300pl about a week ago. This is what you have to do take out the bios battery for a few mins and then put it back in and then reset the cmos jumper then put it back then startup and click f1 to change the security setting and admin settings on the bios. Be aware that depending on how secure the bios settings are you may find that you have to connect your keyboard to your mouse socket and vice versa just so you can change the settings. once you get into the bios settings change your admin passwords & network settings. once all that is done it should be ok and boot up as normal - Good Luck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!