Computer Help forum

General discussion

"162-System Option Not Set"

by Dragon / May 2, 2004 9:17 AM PDT

This is a message I get at boot up, before I see any kind of screen. Oddly enough, its also a message I got before using my recovery disk. I thought the message would be gone. I just read someplace that it might be my bios battery is dead.

If it is my battery I wonder if it could have been the root to some of my previous problems.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "162-System Option Not Set"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "162-System Option Not Set"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Timing of messages.
by Kees Bakker / May 3, 2004 5:55 AM PDT

Brian,

Any message on the screen you see before you see "Loading Windows 98 ..." or the equivalent with XP comes from the BIOS, and reloading the OS doesn't have any influence on it. So it isn't surprising at all. Hope your reload did solve some other problems for you.

Searching on google I find the explanation you refer to. But without the 162 I find
"The values stored in CMOS RAM are either corrupt or nonexistent. Run BIOS Setup."
and also the warning message from AMI BIOS
"CMOS RAM is powered by a battery. The battery power is low. Replace the battery."
which casts some doubt on the battery story in my opinion.

Much more on it (but not necessarily more informative!) in google groups. The battery story repeatedly comes back anyway.

It won't harm to replace the battery. If the message persists, go into the BIOS setup and see if you can find anything irregular. Just resetting it to default values (would help to solve any corruption) and this will be done automatically if it is without power long enough, so you just might never know if it really was a battery problem or just solved by the reset.

You might try the reset first. Might save you the cost of a new battery.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Message is gone
by Dragon / May 3, 2004 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Timing of messages.

Resetting default didnt work at first. But I remembered following a suggestion to change a setting in CMOS so that the CD drive would open first. I changed that so the floppy would load first, and the message disappeared. I had earlier noted that the floppy was making a lot more noise than normal and Id made a mental note to post a question about that...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. No battery, yet... But the machine is five years old. How long do they last?

Collapse -
Nice to read.
by Kees Bakker / May 3, 2004 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Message is gone

This Compaq battery here is 6 years old, at least (my wife thinks it's 7, and it's her computer, but I doubt it).

The best setting for the boot sequence (if that's what you mean) is boot from hard disk first. CD ROM is only needed if you want to use a restore CD (or another bootable CD, such as Win XP system CD), diskette is only needed when booting from a boot diskette in case of serious trouble.

There aren't so many boot sector viruses around as there used to be, but I've once had to reformat because somebody gave me a diskette with a boot sector virus, and I had left in the machine when I turned it off. So: no more boot from a: for me!
Booting from c: to start with is the fastest, of course.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?