iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

160GB iPod Classic will not go into disk mode

by ummdaddy / October 1, 2009 9:19 AM PDT

when i connect it to my computer it will only recognize it as another drive. itunes doesn't even see it. i can reset it, but after the apple icon appears pressing select and play will do nothing? i have been unsuccessful trying to find a solution to this problem. is there an answer or do i just have an oversized paper weight?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 160GB iPod Classic will not go into disk mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 160GB iPod Classic will not go into disk mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried all the solutions at
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 1, 2009 9:24 AM PDT

the Apple site?

There are quite a few of them.

Failing that, a call to Apple may be in order or, if you have an Apple store near you, a trip there may be beneficial

P

Collapse -
none
by ummdaddy / October 1, 2009 10:16 AM PDT

yes i have, and on the site it tells me that i cannot call them without paying. which if i pay, will they be able to give me an answer that's worth it.

Collapse -
Unfortunately,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 1, 2009 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: none

that is a risk you have to take.

Only you can decide if it is worth the $45 or so to possibly get back the use of your 160GB iPod or whether you would be better off putting that money toward a replacement iPod.

Personally, I would give it a try.

Good luck, let us know how you get on

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!