Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

160G harddrive only showing 149G

by chuckieu / November 26, 2004 3:57 AM PST

Tried finding subject on web. No luck. Tried the search feature here, but it seems to be down. Anyway, here goes. Just bought a 160G Samsung HDD to replace a Maxtor 40G.
Originally, I was going to add a 120G drive to the 40G, not replace it. Since I wasn't going over 137G, I wasn't paying attention when this subject was discussed. LBA is supported and turned on in my BIOS. Obviously, or I wouldn't be getting over 137G. My trouble is Windows 98se is only seeing 149G, not the whole 160G. Linux will, but that doesn't help, it is on the other drive. I was able to Fdisk using percentages. 25% gets me 37.2G rather than the desired 40G(less overhead) and 75% gets me 111.7 rather than 120G.
Samsung site doesn't mention it. I have seen this addressed in the past, but I didn't think I needed it. My fault. Won't be changing to XP for a little while, so any thoughts on the problem would be appreciated.
Windows 98se
AMD XP3000+
256MB 2700
Samsung 160G+20G Seagate
TIA chuck

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 160G harddrive only showing 149G
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 160G harddrive only showing 149G
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
160 BILLION is 149G
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 4:09 AM PST

Let's try the numbers.

Remember that drive makers give you 1 billion bytes to their GB. So...

160,000,000,000 times 0.9313226 = 149.0116119 Gigabyte (GB)

Seems spot on.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: 160 BILLION is 149G
by chuckieu / November 26, 2004 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: 160 BILLION is 149G

Sorry, Bob. Meant to put that in my post. Possible it is
the old "Claimed vs. Real" issue. But as I mentioned Mandrake(and Knoppix) see the whole 160.029G disc. I searched and came up with info that it really is a 160G size. I expected less. I remember(vaguely) seeing the specific 149G size problem somewhere in the past. chuck

Collapse -
So is this an unreal claim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 4:57 AM PST

Or is there really turkey for the next few months if it sees its own shadow?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: So is this an unreal claim.
by chuckieu / November 26, 2004 7:57 PM PST

Remembered after logging off. Originally went with one partition, Windows saw HDD as 152+G. And I noted twice that Linux sees complete drive. I AM aware claimed size is often inaccurate. ACTUAL size of drive by all available info is reported to be 160G. Done my research, Bob. I'm asking about a specific problem. Thanks anyway.
chuck

Collapse -
Each tool may report a different number.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 11:07 PM PST

The drive is still 160 billion bytes. That is the only fact we can start with.

After this, Explorer, Linux and each application may report in BINARY BYTES i.e. 1024 bytes for each KB and so on.

As such, the owners of such are promptly asking what size is that drive.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Each tool may report a different number.
by chuckieu / November 27, 2004 12:34 AM PST

Sorry, Bob. Finally got it straightened out. Don't know why Windows originally reported in Binary instead of Windows Output. Anyway, other than "the bigger the better", I don't care what size it is. Although, like everybody else, if I buy a 160G hard drive, I REALLY want a 160G hard drive. Now I need to reseach non-destructive re-partitioning. I want a 120G partition for Graphics/Photos(DVDs) and the rest for OS(98se-thenXP).Hate to pay $80 for Partition Magic for 1 time use. Thanks for the help. chuck

Collapse -
Partitioning is your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 12:42 AM PST

But I found zero payoff when I tried that on NTFS partitions. So with video editing I just made the new 300GB drive one big partition and it works super.

To keep things tidy I use DIRECTORIES.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Partitioning is your choice.
by chuckieu / November 28, 2004 4:10 AM PST

I can re-format if necessary in C: without losing grapics files in D:. Has happened before. Among other things,
hardware update finished. New-CPU(XP3000+), HDD(160 Samsung), Video(ATI9850-all I need right now), and another 256mb stick of pc2700 on the way from Crucial. So Windows XP in near furure, so reformat would be in order. But I'll hold off repartitoning since RMAed 40G Maxtor for Linux due any day.Just redo everything then. Thanks again for the help.

Collapse -
Don't forget overhead. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 28, 2004 9:33 AM PST

All digital media/medium has overhead. Bits/Bytes that are not accessible to you. A formatted and partitioned drive will loose available data. Some simple examples:

Floppy - advertized 1.44 Meg. Actual 1.36 Meg.
T-1 - advertised 1.544 Mb/s. Actual 1.536 Meg.
ISDN - advertised 160 Kb/s. Actual 128 Kb/s.

Your 160 Gig HD will not give you 160 Gig of available space. After formatting with even one partition you'll likely get 155 Gig available.

Hope this helps,

Telephony facts, analog/digital explained.
See the CNet faces behind the posts. Download free software.

If you're reading this, thank a teacher. If you're reading this in English, thank a U.S. soldier.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.