Speakeasy forum

General discussion

16 y.o. Iranian girl executed

IRAN: Amnesty International outraged at reported execution of a 16 year old girl

Amnesty International today expressed its outrage at the reported execution of a girl who is believed to be 16 years old, Ateqeh Rajabi, in Neka in the northern Iranian province of Mazandaran, on 15 August, for "acts incompatible with chastity" (amal-e manafe-ye 'ofat). Ateqeh Rajabi was reportedly publicly hanged on a street in the city centre of Neka.

Amnesty International is alarmed that this execution was carried out despite reports that Ateqeh Rajabi was not believed to be mentally competent, and that she reportedly did not have access to a lawyer at any stage.

We can't make the laws of the world, but one of these days the so-called human rights activists should wake up and smell the bitter pot of coffee that is Islamic law. They still execute homosexuals, adulterers, those that engage in sex out of marriage, and even rape victims.

The execution of Ateqeh Rajabi is the tenth execution of a child offender in Iran recorded by Amnesty International since 1990. Amnesty International has urged Iran's judicial authorities to halt further executions of child offenders - people who were under 18 years old at the time of the offence. This is to bring Iran's law and practice in line with requirements of international human rights law....

IMO Amnesty International is barking up the wrong tree with their angle. The issue should not be a "child" of 16 being executed, but rather the nature of the crime for which this punishment is meted out and whether or not the judicial process was fair.

The 18 y.o. age for execution is arbitrary IMO. What is important is to have punishment in line with the crime and insure that whatever the age of the perpetrator they are deemed to have understood the consequences of their actions and understand the proceedings against them.

AI discredits itself when they cry the same "foul" over the execution of 17 y.o. cold blooded multiple murderers by the US after due process.

Evie Happy
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 16 y.o. Iranian girl executed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 16 y.o. Iranian girl executed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's the problem with much of what we hear today.

In reply to: 16 y.o. Iranian girl executed

The latest finding is hyped without any perspective, so people ignore everything that's said. That's true of everything from 60 Minutes to Greenpeace.

What's sad is that sometimes the message needs to be heard.

Collapse -
I agree ...

In reply to: That's the problem with much of what we hear today.

... was linked to this on another site I read. Saw AI as the source and almost didn't look. Saddened to see that their main thrust is to get Iran in "compliance" with not executing minors. That doesn't even come close to addressing the problem.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Yes we must impose our standards

In reply to: I agree ...

on the rest of the world or not rest easy in our beds at night. Iran has its own society and laws as does Thailand
and South Africa. We stand less chance than a snowball in the Sahara of shaking a stick at them and making them change. But then again moral righteousness seems to pervade the thoughts of some of us. And is as untouchable
as the medieval practices of some contemporary societies.

Collapse -
Re: Yes we must impose our standards

In reply to: Yes we must impose our standards

If we could get them to stop executing children, that would be a good thing.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: Imposing our standards -- what arrogance!

Hi, gearup.

I agree that our standards are better, but trying to impose our standards on the rest of the world is why they hate us -- especially when we often don't live up to those standards ourselves. Why is American sovereignty worth more than the sovereignty of every other nation? Because that's what your comment boils down to.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I agree Dave. We should say nothing when

In reply to: Re: Imposing our standards -- what arrogance!

16 year old girls are killed for small offenses, or Christians are forced into slavery just because they are Christians, or when house pastors in China are imprisoned or executed.

Collapse -
Re: I agree Dave. We should say nothing when

In reply to: I agree Dave. We should say nothing when

Hi, KP.

I didn't say we should say nothing. But there's a big difference between arguing for our standards and principles and "imposing" them!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re-read gearup's post, I think he was being facetious

In reply to: Re: I agree Dave. We should say nothing when

Collapse -

I suppose the standard you are referring to here is executing minors. Yep, when 17 y.o. murderers are executed after all the due process in this country, that is not living up to a standard that would make us speak up for the execution of this 16 y.o. girl in this case. Sheesh Sad

Evie Happy

Collapse -

If you read my post carefully it should be apparent that
my intent was to agree with what you have just said. The arrogance of ignorance is to assume that you are right and the rest of the world is wrong! If they have a law in Sri Lanka not to eat bittersweet chocolate on Thursday morning, then that is what that society deems correct and for us to "Nay Say" only enforces our own naivete and ignorance!

Collapse -
Pardon my ignorance then ...

... for thinking that civilized societies shouldn't be executing 16 y.o. girls of questionable mental competance without any semblance of due process for "acts inconsistent with chastity". You're a real piece of work.

Collapse -

If we stand by and do nothing for the basic rights of humans not being put to death for minor "crimes", we do so at our peril. I am not advocating imposing our standards, think of it more as persuasion to bring these cultures at least in some line with modern civil society. Something about evil flourishing when good men do nothing comes to mind.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Yes we must impose our standards

See my reply to KP, Evie. You know darned well what happens when the world tries to impose its standards on us -- we still haven't signed on to the Hague Tribunal, for instance. We are an arrogant nation that has a consistent double standard. According to our worldview, we get to tell others what to do, but when they try to do the same, they're "violating our sovereignty." What makes OUR sovereignty sancrosanct, and theirs worthless?

BTW, by the standards of most of the civilzed world, OUR stance on the death penalty is itself barbaric -- ironic that you want us to impose our standards in this particular case. (Of course, I agree completely that the execution is tragic and unconscionable; that's not what my objection is about. Guess I'm just "waffling," eh?)

Collapse -
Excuse me Dave ...

... but I said NOTHING about imposing our standards. The civilized community CAN put pressure on such countries when such injustices occur. I maintain that AI is going about this the wrong way because this has less to do with imposing the death penalty on a "child", than it does with the offense for which the death penalty is exacted. Apparently you seem to think Americans that support the death penalty for violent criminals have no place to voice opposition to such because we don't live up to some arbitrary standard. Oh well.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: wow! was that a Bushism i saw there?

#If we stand by and do nothing for the basic rights of humans {not} being put to death for minor "crimes", we do so at our peril#

Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Oops! I must be a bumbling idiot then. LOL

In reply to: Re: wow! was that a Bushism i saw there?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Another attempt on GLOBAL CRUSADE

Collapse -
as opposed to a GLOBAL JIHAD...

In reply to: (NT) Another attempt on GLOBAL CRUSADE

btw, any comments on the latest barbaric execution by those who share your faith?....

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.