Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

16-bit wireless card on old laptop

I have an old laptop (Thinkpad 380d) running Damn Small Linux. Everything works fine, Ethernet 10/100 card, etc.
My problem is, I have never used wireless before. I have a Dell Truemobile 1150 card (recognized as Intesil Orinoco). Drivers native and card active. Just don't know how to configure to access the internet. Will be stand alone, but will set up as network if necessary. Tried searching for general card setup, Linux, or OS specific. Either there was too much info I don't understand, or info too vague. Have stood in front of access point I am paying for, just not working. Can anyone point me to a site that will help, or supply said info. I would appreciate it. I can, and have, configured Winmodems, built more than one computer, and am not totally clueless, but at this point, wireless cards seem like rocket science. chuck

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 16-bit wireless card on old laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 16-bit wireless card on old laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be broke. More.

In reply to: 16-bit wireless card on old laptop

Notice what http://jondreyer.org/i4150/ writes. What I find is that such "breaks" find their way into other Linux buids. But with that link you can see if your Linux selection is broke too.

Bob

Collapse -
No help

In reply to: Could be broke. More.

Thanks for answering. Like all info I have found, it assumes problem installing. My card is automatically recognized, correct drivers loaded, and active status light. What to do from there is the problem. It is exactly like a newbie trying to understand Linux, all
info assumes you already know things you don't and just mentions them in passing, or omits altogether. Looked at XP manual and Red Hat 9 manual I still have around. Omitted infomation. I know enough to know it is not an automatic process, even in Windows. chuck

Collapse -
If this was mine...

In reply to: No help

I'd pick another distro. I've been keeping up with Suse for years since it helps the hardware issues. Now on Open Suse 10.

Your post is light on details such and what ipconfig /all or such reports. Also I don't teach TCPIP basics since that's all over the web. If this bothers you, please tell me so I won't reply further.

For example, I can't tell if you tried DHCP or went for manual IP and all the other settings.

Bob

Collapse -
Actually

In reply to: If this was mine...

DSLinux was found after much searching and trying. I did mention 2.1G HDD and 80mb RAm on 150 pentium machine. 98se won't configure card (Dell drivers are corrupted in that they will only work on Dell laptops and won't allow Orinoco drivers). Other Linux distros too large, or won't
recognize card without recompiling and such. Sorry I forgot to mention using DCHP. This is a stand alone unit to check email and browse away from home. I use wired router and can connect with ethernet to my dsl. Tried with and without WEP. I'll worry about security and range and other fine-tuning after getting it to work. At this
point, I can't tell what I'm not doing because I can't tell what I am supposed to be doing. Not clueless about Tcp/Ip. Mention what you think I missed there. chuck

Collapse -
Update

In reply to: Actually

Usually is something simple, that's why I have learned not to panic. Ran "ifconfig eth0 up" again. This time it
apparantly worked (why it didn't before, I don't know).
Now getting a blinking (searching?) Activity light. Have to drive over to an access point to try it. Get back to you klater. chuck

Collapse -
Down or up is usually noted in the...

In reply to: Update

ifconfig /all output. I find such to be quite useful at times to go back to the command line.

If the DHCP phase fails, you can always revert to manual entries of valid IP numbers for address, netmask, and DNS.

Bob

Collapse -
No go

In reply to: Down or up is usually noted in the...

Getting "device not found" on ifconfig /all even though
device IS shown everywhere else. I'll keep playing with it. Thanks. chuck

Collapse -
Try without the /all

In reply to: No go

I can't carry all the possible enumerations of the ifconfig command and nothing enforces that it exist in all distros. However there are some varients out there that need the ifconfig -all or --all or -a or --a.

Point? I can guide you a little on what to look for but you have to fill in where I don't live.

Bob

Collapse -
The -a got it

In reply to: Try without the /all

Can't seem to cut and paste a screenshot, so here goes manual.
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:02:2D:3D:4A:95
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collision:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 )0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:3 Base address:0x100

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collision:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:200 (200.0 B) TX bytes:200 (200.0 B)

Hope this makes sense. I'm prepared to go to next swap meet to look for non-proprietary card, but I still think the problem is pilot error. I am ashamed to admit that Linux desktops have gotten so good, I have forgotten a lot I used to know about Linux/Unix.chuck

Collapse -
There's a lesson in there somewhere.

In reply to: The -a got it

The parameters of those commands are not something I can retain but let me comment on my solution.

I have this one killer setup that works even with DOS. I use an Ethernet Wifi client device. You connect from/to it with ethernet and the wifi device is external. Not a card. Some extenders and routers double as a client device. Very good for wifi'ing systems that were never thought of being able to wifi.

Bob

Collapse -
Not real sure what you mean..

In reply to: There's a lesson in there somewhere.

about client device. A search shows wireless router or similar. Not my desire. Have no use for one. I just need to make a stand alone old laptop connect wirelessly away
from the house. I can't jistify spending more than $10-15
for another Lan card. This is entertainment, not a necessity.The original Bios supported 16-bit 802.11b and has been updated to latest available. Even supports USB, if you I want to try to find a 16-bit pcmcia card. Problem seems to be that the card is recognized correctly and activated, but isn't configuring as it should (or I'm not). Until I can't figure out what is SUPPOSED to happen, I can't tell what is going wrong. The mask looks wrong (255.0.0.0), seems like it should be something like 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.1. chuck

Collapse -
So why not set the values yourself?

In reply to: Not real sure what you mean..

This is linux. You are the hammer.

Collapse -
Bob

In reply to: 16-bit wireless card on old laptop

should this be moved to the Linux forum? chuck

Collapse -
As I said,

In reply to: Bob

not sure what everything is SUPPOSED to be. Got the hammer reference. Bad old days of earlier Red Hat. Can you say Winmodem? Can't seem remember all the stuff I used to do from memory, and tossed all the hard copy
crib sheets. Oh well. chuck

Collapse -
What is supposed to be. How I sort that out.

In reply to: As I said,

I connect with a wired connection and note the values. Then I use those IP entries, but for the wireless.

bob

Collapse -
D*&%, hadn't thought of that.

In reply to: What is supposed to be. How I sort that out.

I'm using Mandriva 2006 right now. Kind of assumed it would be at least a little different. Thanks, Bob. Don't
post a reply (lock it), if I still have a problem, I am
going to repost in Linux forum, since this may be more of a Linux problem than a Wireless problem. chuck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.