General discussion

16 bit windows subsytem HELP!!!

I know there have been several post reguarding the 16 bit windows subsystem, but none of them are in reguards to my particular problem.
I go to use any program considered 16 bit, or made prior to Win XP and I get this error. This is a recent problem, I believe due to a virus. The error I get includes

16 bit Windows Subsystem
C:\DOCUM~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\. A temporary file needed for initialization could not be created or could not be written to. Make sure that the directory path exists, and disk space is available. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Any help or links would be greatly appreciated! This is killing me!

-Reed-

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 16 bit windows subsytem HELP!!!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 16 bit windows subsytem HELP!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
your hard disc may be formatted in NTFS

Check to see if your hard disc is formatted NTFS. this file system is readable by Win NT and XP. A 16 bit subsystem is a Win 95 standard and may be able only able to address a fat32 disc. The error sounds like it can not see or write to a temp file.

- Collapse -
Sorry...

I was able to use those programs a few weeks ago without a problem.

- Collapse -
Thats not possible

I am not trying to be mean, but your hypothesis is impossible.

- Collapse -
NTFS guestion

my IBM laptop is formated with HTFS. i see that in defrag. what is the differance from this and 16 bit?

- Collapse -
File systems. A primer at...
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/

NTFS or "New Technology File System, Windows NT's replacement for the DOS FAT (File Allocation Table) and OS/2's HPFS (High-Performance File System). NTFS offers many advantages over other file systems, including improved security and the ability to reconstruct files in the event of hardware failures. Windows 3.1+ and Windows 95 can access files stored on NTFS volumes via a network connection but can't open NTFS files directly."
- Wikipedia

NTFS is preferred since it's damage resistent (not damage proof) compared to the FATxx offerings.

Bob
- Collapse -
Reed, you also said that you thought

a virus caused this. The name of the virus and what you had to do to get rid of it might help.

- Collapse -
Thanks for the response.

I have no idea what virus might have caused this, nor the way it was removed. I used AVG 7 to remove any viruses on my system, but I have no idea what the file name would have been that was removed. Would it have been a .dll file?

-Reed-

- Collapse -
It could have been any number

of things. Most viruses have certain characteristics as to what they use to work so if we knew the name of it, it would be a lot easier to figure out exactly what was damaged by it.

- Collapse -
The not a virus, but trojan and other...
- Collapse -
I'm in the same boat Reed!.

All of my 16-bit programs disabled with the identical error message. I posted on the Microsoft Windows XP forum, tried all sorts of different things and came up empty. No one seems to have a fix for this one. Maybe someday they'll be a solution...until then I don't know what we can do?

- Collapse -
I'm in the same boat ?

I'm not convinced that your context it's the same as the original poster, so let's see if it is the same.

Create another account with Administrator privilege and see if it works there.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
Create another account?....

How would I do that? Is that under Documents and Settings where it says Owner and All Users?

- Collapse -
Re: Create another account?....

Generally speaking, you can use Help and Support Center for such questions.

Here's a MSKB article that describes it:

Q249783 -"How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP"

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
That was really interesting....

Never did that before. I logged on as a guest. Real interesting since there were programs on my start menu list that aren't on my Owner log-in. Like Zone Deluxe games and one of my 16 bit programs that disappeared from my Owner start menu was back. Now the bad news, the error was there when I tried to access 16 bit programs....

C:\Docume~1\Guest\Locals~1\Temp\. A temporary file needed for initialization could not be created or could not be written to. Make sure that the directory path exists, and disk space is available. Choose close to terminate the application.

Oh well, it was worth a try, appreciate it.

- Collapse -
Re: That was really interesting....

OK, I understand that you liked the "create new account" little game. Just remeber in the future, such an account could save your bacon.

Now, why did you create a Guest account ? Create a Dork (your chosen name) account as Administrator.

Logon as Dork and take the ownership for the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Dork\Local Settings\Temp

For details, read the following MSKB article:

Q308421 - "How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP"

Good Luck,
Cetin

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
Hate to bother you again....

the security tab won't come up on the Temp folder, it says I need to be in safe mode. I don't know how to get into Safe mode, can I have a link for that please?

Thanks
Paul

- Collapse -
SAFE mode instructions Windows XP
- Collapse -
That was really scary...

Followed the instructions and went into Safe Mode using Run Config. Then, I went into the Security folder of C:/Documents and settings/Dork/LocalSettings/Temp and I found no option to take ownership of the folder (because I think I already owned it). The boxes allowing access were all checked for Dork (system address) a couple of other lines...system and Administrator (address). Took a look at Owner/LocalSettings/Temp and it just had an Everyone line with no boxes of any kind checked.

What was scary was that when I tried to end safe mode by loading Config in the Run box, I went to the Boot.ini tab undid Safe box, hit apply and my system just hung up, couldn't close the dialogue box. So I rebooted and it was going to send me back into safe mode or go to a restore point and so I just restored to a point created this morning...which took longer than I thought and scared me good.

Also when I was in Documents and Settings, I noticed that while I had the poperties box up, the size of the file started changing before my eyes with alot of activity happening on my PC. That worried me too.

Whatever I've got, I've got it bad. Thanks for the assistance.

- Collapse -
Read Part 1 and 2 at...
- Collapse -
Pretty frustrating thing....

I downloaded the patch and it had no effect. It just loaded identical files in the System 32 directory with the extensions .bak. Tried getting a complimentary Housecall scan from TrendMicro, but the Scanner doesn't work for me. I don't think I have any more virus or adware....I've been running Adaware, Spybot, Yahoo Anti-Spy AOL Anti-Spy and MS Anti-Spy Beta along with my EZAnti-Virus from Computer Associates and I register clean. I think however that my system might've been damaged somehow by a virus or adware. Had real troubles with PeopleOnPage for a couple of weeks. I was thinking of deleting the new Service Pack 2 program since I heard it has some negative effects or do you think it's too late for that?

Posted by: dorkdorf Posted on: 02/18/2005 9:23 AM

- Collapse -
No negative effects at the office.

Now at hundreds of SP2 installed, I've yet to encounter any negative effect. Here, in these forums its different. Spyware abounds, people have a wider variety of damaged systems so its not unusual for complaints to surface here.

The 16 bit issue has become more virulent as it appears more pests are breaking the 16 bit capability in what looks like an attempt to make it harder on the computer user to eject the pest.

Your machine's symptom is "classic". Not being able to run an online virus scan is just one of the signs.

Have you posted a Hijackthis log in the right forum?

Bob

- Collapse -
I've read about people doing that...

and posting the results and then someone comments on it. How does one do that?

Thanks
Dorkdorf

- Collapse -
Copy from the Security Forum...
- Collapse -
I found a fix.....

I found an article on microsoft's website. Un fortunately this requires going into the registry and deleting a key from the registry and remaking a registry key. I would recommend that if you have never been in the registry or are not experienced with anything having to do with the registry, you may want to buddy up with someone who is familiar with the registry and is able to perform this fix. I have included the link directly to microsoft's website with the fix. It is titled that when you install a program you get that 16 bit subsystem error, but it is also linked to the problem at hand after you have the program installed and try to use the program. It is due to a registry key getting corrupted and needs to be fixed. I hope this helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314452

- Collapse -
I don't get it?

Microsoft lists the error messages that their registry fix will alleviate. What makes you believe that it will have any impact on the message we are receiving?

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Have you been tinkering with PERMISSIONS?
- Collapse -
Not at all, wouldn't know how to....

The only time is when MS Beta Anti-Spyware pop-up window comes up and tells me some site wants to visit me and should I "allow" or "block" it.

CNET Forums

Forum Info