Desktops forum

General discussion

16 bit Windows Subsystem error in XP?

by anthonymdavis / November 26, 2004 12:15 AM PST

I recently got a new computer (moving up from ME to XP). On the old computer I had some applications that loaded up fine. Yet, on the XP computer I get an error banner that says, "16 bit Windows Subsystem"

The body of the error window says, "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

At the bottom are two buttons - Close and Ignore (Nothing happens with ignore).

Both of these programs worked fine in the earlier version. I tried the "Compatibility" function with no luck. I tried loading it without the XP 2 patch, and again after.

These are simple apps that use a setup program. I'm out of ideas...anybody else?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 16 bit Windows Subsystem error in XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 16 bit Windows Subsystem error in XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Discussed here...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 12:30 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Discussed here...
by anthonymdavis / November 27, 2004 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: Discussed here...

Bob,

Thank you. I think you found the answer that no one else could. Thanks again.

- Tony

Collapse -
Discussed here...
by Jonnyk101 / February 10, 2005 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: Discussed here...

I am having the same problem and have recently downloaded Spyware Doctor. That scanned my computer and got rid of all the infections. Yet I still cannot access any programs. Can anyone help?

Collapse -
The simple and yet working quick answer
by soolshock / December 15, 2004 12:25 PM PST
Collapse -
thanks
by roberthl01 / January 7, 2005 9:58 PM PST

Thanks for your post-I am a true novice and searched for info on this problem. The link you cited was all i needed.

Collapse -
16 BIT SUB SYSTEMS ERROR IN XP
by MARIAMUM / April 13, 2005 11:26 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

COULD SOMEONE PLEEEEASE HELP. MY COMPUTER KEEPS COMING UP WITH THE BOX

16 BIT SUBSYSTEMS ERROR

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEMS32\AUTOEXEC.NT TWO BOXES EITHER TO CANCEL OR IGNORE. NEITHER WORK

THIS SYSTEM FILE IS NOT SUITABLE FOR RUNNING MS.DOS AND MICROSOFT WINDOWS APPLICATIONS. CHOOSE CLOSE TO TERMINATE THE APPLICATION. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO BE RID OF THIS AND RECITFY THE SITUATION.

Collapse -
Thank You Thank You Thank You
by jadedstatik / January 11, 2005 5:12 PM PST

I received this error trying to install Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 in XP and the xp fix worked! Thank you, I never would have thought of that or have known where to download it from!

Collapse -
thanks for the info
by w00dyhayes / February 16, 2005 2:35 PM PST

this post fixed my 16 bit error message that I kept getting - i did a google search on "16 bit error" as a prayer to just what in the heck that was...and it came to your posting - problem solved - thanks brotha man....

peace...

Collapse -
THANK YOU SO MUCH
by toothpick1977 / March 13, 2005 12:05 AM PST

JUST WANTED TO SAY THANKS..I WENT TO YOUR SUGGESTED SITE AND DID THE QUICK AND EASY DOWNLOAD...IT SOLVED ALL MY PROBLEMS...THANKS SO MUCH. TOOTHPICK1977

Collapse -
Got 2ndary prob w/ spyware and yours fix it!
by madcnet / March 19, 2005 2:24 PM PST

Soolshock, from the other side of the world, thanks for your tip.

First, I lost 2 working days fixing for "hotoffers" spy-ware. After finally fixed the spyware problems using Spydoctor, Adaware & Hijackthis, this "Autoexec.nt" problem occurred. I think it was caused by one of the anti-spyware accidentally removing it.

Fortunately, Your tip fixed it. Thanks for suggesting the link. I could've used the Microsoft's suggested solution (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767), but being such a novice user, I am sure I would've done more damage than repaired it.

madcnet
JAVA - INDONESIA

Collapse -
autoexec.nt error's
by troyboy / December 27, 2004 8:29 AM PST

You tossed the 2k NT file when you uninstalled something. Goto Windows/repair and find it. Then copy and paste into Windows/system32. this worked for me.
Also if you don't feel comfortable then read "soolshock"'s response. There is an URL that will allow a simple download that will replace the NT file and put it back..

Collapse -
Thank You
by dkalicum / January 7, 2005 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: autoexec.nt error's

I did what you said and it worked really well! The dumb people at Sony told me to perform a system restore. Thank you soooooo much. I could kiss you. COULD, but i'm not.

DK

Collapse -
16 bit Windows Subsystem error in XP
by razi / January 29, 2005 7:54 AM PST
Collapse -
Nice, but doesn't remove what causes it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2005 8:11 AM PST

Please complete your post by telling what causes this issue.

Collapse -
Cause of this error
by babidgood / February 23, 2005 12:25 AM PST

We have found that there are two reasons for this;
1. Running antispyware programs sometimes removes these files autoexec.nt, ntconfig.nt and command.com
2. Upgrading to XP sp2 - we are not sure why this knocks out these files but it does...

The fix is to replace these three files as stated in a Microsoft KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

You can also download a quick fix from here that does the trick. You will need your XP cd ready for either way.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/16-bit-MS-DOS-Subsystem-Error-Quick-Fix.shtml

Thanks,
Bruce Bidgood

Collapse -
Error Banner
by classyrosel / March 12, 2005 5:57 AM PST

16 bit Windows Subsystem error in XP?
I purchased a new computer last fall with XP installed. All applications that came pre-loaded and the once I loaded worked fine until 3 days ago. Then, out of the blue I get an error banner that says, "16 bit Windows Subsystem"
The body of the error window says, "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
At the bottom are two buttons - Close and Ignore (Nothing happens with ignore).
I tried the "Compatibility" function with no luck.
I must have changed something, which I do from time ti time, that may have something to do with it but suddenly it will refuse to recognize older programs. The once in question, I believe, are the 16 bit based once and I have a few of those.
Could anyone help me with this please, it is very vital for me because I use some of the old graphic programs, card games, etc, etc.
Any help will be much apreciated. Sincerely, Helen

Collapse -
Just asking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2005 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: Error Banner

Since the solution is noted in this discussion, can you reveal if you used it?

Or were you expect another post of the answer?

Just asking.

Bob

Collapse -
Im having exactly the same problem
by leighollie / March 12, 2005 6:45 PM PST

If you manage to find out how to resolve that problem I would certainly like to know as Im having the same problem myself.

Collapse -
Wow.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2005 11:16 PM PST

Since the solution is noted in this discussion, can you reveal if you used it?

Or were you expect another post of the answer?

Just asking.

Bob

Collapse -
16 bit Windows Subsystem
by jack seidl / March 17, 2005 4:14 AM PST

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
I have a emachine t2542 with xp windows operating system.
need help thank you

Collapse -
How can we help?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2005 4:55 AM PST

The answer is in this discussion. I'm unsure if you read the answer or just didn't understand it.

Bob

Collapse -
16 bit Windows Subsystem error
by pullbeak / March 29, 2005 1:44 PM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!