General discussion

15 gig usb flash drive with ntfs file system

I have a mkv movie that I was trying to play on my samsung un55b8000 tv. I have the TV networked and use the samsung pc share software to share my movies. Well when I tried to play the mkv file on my TV I get video but an audio error pops up that say's the audio format is not supported. So I wanted to test the file from a thumb drive. I have had things that do not work over my network from my pc work from a thumb drive so I figured I'd try it. Well the problem came when I tried to move the 11gig file to my 15 gig flash drive It would tell me that the file was to big. I realized that the flash drive is formated as fat32 so I formated to ntfs and was able to move the file to the thumb drive. However with it formated as ntfs my TV would not see any files on the flash drive. Does it have to do with the file syste Or can it not see a mkv file like that?

On a side note I have figured out a way to convert the audio in that mkv file so I can use it. Seems to work although I have not tested the whole movie yet. But I still would like to be able to play it from my flash drive since that will allow me to fast forward and rewind. With using the dlna it's 50/50 at best if that works correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 15 gig usb flash drive with ntfs file system
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 15 gig usb flash drive with ntfs file system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
---

its the file system...needs to be fat32

- Collapse -
yep

Yea that's a downer seeing you can't copy that large of a file to the thumb drive. I'm no genius here that can really help make this stuff better but I'm surprised to find out all these limitations and variances of success with streaming video to a dlna supported tv. Things like sammyGo seem to be a step in the right direction but I havn't looked to closely at it yet. I have a feeling my firmware is to recent to even use it. When will we get to a point where dlna works as well as the usb port?

CNET Forums