Question

144HZ Minitor / Video Card more than 60hz in Windows

Dec 12, 2016 9:11AM PST

I have been searching all over the net for FACTUAL information regarding the use of a 144HZ Monitor and a 144HZ video card , both hooked up using a Display Port Cable.

I really hope CNET does a article regarding this topic in ragards to having a 1920x1080 display that runs at a higher refresh rate than just 60hz. I hope manufacturers do not forget the market that I am in, 59 years old , failing eye sight , (40 years using computers , miss green monitors ) these days it seems ALL web sites are using fonts that are like GHOSTs barely visible, boxes that you type information into seem to have INVISIBLE borders, so the need a for a Monitor that works as good as my Viewsonic 21" CRT monitor with .21 dot separation.

I hope I'm not the only one with these kinds of problems, I am willing to pay to buy a quality monitor that has REAL contrast and brightness controls to make the screen LESS bright and have more contrast . I read the specs on both Chrome and Firefox browsers and both have a 120HZ max capability. I WOULD KILL FOR 120HZ display refresh rate while using Windows in 1920x1080 resolutions, I'm willing to compromise and run it at a lower resolution too, as long as the refresh rate was 120hz I would be happy. is there any hope for old gamers like me, no longer wanting the fastest computer , just the one with a SOLID refresh rate and no flicker, and a hell of a lot more contrast in Browsers while surfing the web

thank you for your responses

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 144HZ Minitor / Video Card more than 60hz in Windows
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 144HZ Minitor / Video Card more than 60hz in Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
To get a fact, I feel you need more.
Dec 12, 2016 9:28AM PST

Here I'm using a laptop which is a 15 inch model but at 1080p and 60Hz. I'm over 60 but made sure to get my eyeglasses tuned in for computer work.

I've seen 144Hz displays and didn't find that more Hz equals better displays. My take is that is all about gaming where the gamer is looking for any edge they can get.

Moving from CRT years ago took a little getting used to as the colors do shift so it took a week to get used to it.

I don't see any ghosting here. But there are horrible web sites that use light grey on white backgrounds for fonts.

- Collapse -
eyeglasses oi
Dec 12, 2016 1:13PM PST

Thanks I knew I would get comments on eyeglasses and how great your laptop is.

but I really need answers on my question. it looks like this video momentarily shows Windows , but not really giving much more info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgHx3eMBXjI

- Collapse -
I see no ghosting.
Dec 12, 2016 2:52PM PST

I see screen tearing that happens when folk turn off V sync etc. That's a choice they made and well, it's not a bug.

Can you explain how 144Hz will fix "ALL web sites are using fonts that are like GHOSTs barely visible, "?

- Collapse -
FONTS are to dim too grey, borders in web pages invisible
Dec 12, 2016 3:40PM PST

Guess I used the wrong Adjetive . what I mean is FONTs are too faint

That's one of my complaints, and having a*quality* monitor that good contrast and brightness controls , would go a long ways to set the screen so I can see the BORDER on web pages , for example: a box where you put your email address and home address , the borders are not easily visible on most LCD monitors, so I have to go out of my way to set up browsers to use Arial BLACK fonts to at least see fonts as well as increase the size.

problem is most young people read the wrong thing in some posts because from their world view , those light grey fonts are just ok as well as those non existing borders, but as you get older it hits you, same goes for the angle of LCD monitors , they have to be spot on , for your height in your chair or they are even harder to see. I've read IPS monitors are a bit better in that respect, so I'm collecting info so I make a wise investment in a monitor/card pair for the next 5 years. since I'm not a gamer it will not be obsolete by next year Wink

- Collapse -
I don't see how a monitor can correct bad web sites.
Dec 12, 2016 4:48PM PST
- Collapse -
Monitor
Dec 13, 2016 1:03PM PST

Web pages.
You don't need a 144hz monitor....60hz will work fine.

You don't need a response time of 1 or 2ms....5/6/7ms will work fine.

Pick the size of a monitor based on your viewing distance.
Ips panel...60hz....1080p.

Go shopping...read the reviews.

You can't fix a web page that uses grey on grey

- Collapse -
Monitor as red herring
Dec 13, 2016 3:11PM PST

Since not a gamer, frequency is immaterial in your case; indeed, never shall a superior monitor resolve the plague of graphic design idiocy visibly prevalent nowadays. The enforced workaround is using a browser add-on like Clearly. You could also try Slimjet for browser with an integrated set of useful add-ons, activating "Invert web page color". I find it very helpful, even though the color schemes may be refreshingly surprising at times.

Those "young eyes" of today, perusing whiter shades of pale will doubtless age much quicker than yours, if that is any consolation.

- Collapse -
Answer
VGA doesn't limit you to 1080 @60, so...
Dec 12, 2016 10:50AM PST

I don't know what "display port" spec. is but if your computer don't have vga connection then maybe another graphic card. To build what you like to have maybe more costly and if the mfr. think there is such market I am sure that they would build them. Or maybe there are other solution/s out there (I will also turn 80 in a few days).

- Collapse -
Display Port is a NEW interface that lets you do 144HZ / 8k
Dec 12, 2016 1:10PM PST
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/03/new-displayport-1-4-standard-can-drive-8k-monitors-over-a-usb-type-c-cable/

DisplayPort is the first display interface to rely on packetized data transmission, a form of digital communication found in technologies including Ethernet, USB, and PCI Express. It allows both internal and external display connections and, unlike legacy standards where differential pairs are fixed to transmitting a clock signal with each output, the DisplayPort protocol is based on small data packets known as micro packets, which can embed the clock signal within the data stream, allowing higher resolutions with fewer pins.[3] The use of data packets also allows DisplayPort to be extensible, meaning additional features can be added over time without significant changes to the physical interface itself.[4]
DisplayPort can be used to transmit audio and video simultaneously, but each one is optional and can be transmitted without the other. The video signal path can have six to sixteen bits per color channel, and the audio path can have up to eight channels of 24-bit 192 kHz uncompressed PCM audio or can encapsulate compressed audio formats in the audio stream.[2] A bi-directional, half-duplex auxiliary channel carries device management and device control data for the Main Link, such as VESA EDID, MCCS, and DPMS standards. In addition, the interface is capable of carrying bi-directional USB signals.[5]
The DisplayPort LVDS signal protocol is not compatible with DVI or HDMI. However, Dual-mode DisplayPorts are designed to transmit a single-link DVI or HDMI 1.2/1.4 TMDS protocol across the interface through the use of an external passive adapter that selects the desired signal and converts it from 3.3 volts to 5 volts. Analog VGA and dual-link DVI require powered active adapters to convert the protocol and signal levels and do not rely on Dual-Mode. VGA adapters are powered by the DisplayPort connector, while dual-link DVI adapters may rely on an external power source (see Dual-mode).[6]
The DisplayPort connector can have one, two, or four differential data pairs (lanes) in a Main Link, each with a raw bit rate of 1.62 (reduced bit rate), 2.7 (high bit rate), 5.4 (HBR2), or 8.1 Gbit/s (HBR3) per lane (6.48, 10.8, 21.6, or 32.4 Gbit/s for a full 4-lane link) with self-clock running at 162, 270, 540, or 810 MHz. The effective data rates after decoding are 1.296, 2.16, 4.32, or 6.486 Gbit/s per lane (5.184, 8.64, 17.28, or 25.92 Gbit/s for a full 4-lane link), or 80% of the total, since data is 8b/10b encoded so each eight bits of information are encoded with a ten-bit symbol.
- Collapse -
So the spec. looks ok, so...
Dec 13, 2016 12:25AM PST

where actually is the problem then...or maybe I just don't understand the spec. However, what you see is not what I see in my setup, and I have different computers with different monitors but no displayport though. They all seem ok.

CNET Forums

Forum Info