Laptops forum

General discussion

1400$ voucher at bestbuy - What laptop should I buy?

by reichheld.3 / January 14, 2010 5:19 AM PST

I am exercising a no lemon on my best buy service policy after having four hardware repairs on my laptop. I have actually done this for 2 other laptops already and every laptop I have owned was a toshiba satellite. I do not know much about what is out there and after looking at the reviews I cannot decide if I should look to maximize the value of my voucher or just use it for a home pc instead since finding a good laptop isn't very expensive. So my question is, out of the laptops available at bestbuy, what should I buy?

I have always been a pc fan...no macs...unless I can be convinced otherwise. I mainly use my laptop to download music and surf the internet. It would be great to have good sound quality. I do travel a bit but as long as my laptop isn't a brick and can fit in my backpack then I'm ok with it.

I always have a ton of programs running and overtime I find that my toshibas lose processing speed...does that make sense? The point is I cannot stand waiting for things to load and I need to be able to run lots of explorer windows/tabs, media player, itunes, etc. all at once. I just bought a blue ray home theatre system so I may want to be able to write/play blue ray dvds. I want to be able to connect wirelessly to anything and everything that I can in my house. I also want a webcamera pre-installed. The last thing I can think of is good graphics. If I can add in really good graphics for the price range then great. If not...not a bid deal.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1400$ voucher at bestbuy - What laptop should I buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1400$ voucher at bestbuy - What laptop should I buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This one from CES?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2010 5:40 AM PST
Collapse -
$1300
by cheetara88 / January 17, 2010 1:10 PM PST

HP - Pavilion Laptop with Intel

Collapse -
What laptop to purchase with BBY $1,400 voucher?
by MAT_Taylor Intel staff / January 21, 2010 6:14 AM PST

There are numerous laptops out there for you to choose from. At $1,400 you will be in the upper end of systems with richly configured components. High-end processors, solid state drives, large amount of memory. Let me tell you I work for Intel and get a chance to demo a lot of systems in a year. Having said that, I would offer you the same advice I would anyone in my family. Start with the processor. Get the best processor you can afford. Then decide what else is really important. Are you a gamer? Enjoy online entertainment and streaming of shows or movies? Do you want a system that is easy to carry or has a longer battery life? I would steer you toward the all new 2010 Intel Core Family of Processors. Either the Intel Core i7 or Core i5. The Core i5 was actually selected the Best in Show at CES by one of the laptop magazines. I would also suggest going with an Intel processor for the added performance you will gain from Turbo Boost mode and Hyper-Threading capabilities. The hardcore review sites also had many glowing things to say about the new processors. AnandTech has a nice summary of the technical nuts and bolts of the architecture, but the real reason to peruse the hardware review sites is for the performance comparisons. AnandTech makes the bullish claim the performance boosts are the largest he has seen in years. The fuel that drives this performance improvement can be attributed to Turbo boost and Hyper-Threading. Both technologies do as much for overall system performance as they do lowering the amount of heat dissipated. In other words, your lap won?t get as hot from your laptop. As a result there will be quite a few smaller and lighter laptops to choose from when you get ready to purchase. Again, I would encourage you to get as much CPU processor as you can afford. Intel has reams of performance benchmarks that demonstrate the CPU is the #1 component when it comes to overall system performance.

CNET review guide is very easy to follow and includes both editor ratings and end user ratings. I always lean toward systems that have solid end user ratings.
CNET CES 2010 PC wrap-up is also worth your time and consideration.

Michael Taylor works for Intel in their America?s Marketing Group as a Consumer Marketing Manager. He has been with Intel for 17 years and enjoys working with the latest and greatest technology solutions available. You may follow him on Twitter at: MATaylor67 where he shares his thoughts on technology, and the occasional killer technology deal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!