Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

13 point font size

by gsaylawyer / April 25, 2004 2:33 AM PDT

I am an appellate lawyer. After struggling for years with the problem of attorneys attempting, by use of smaller font sizes and proportionately spaced fonts, to "cheat" on page limits for briefs and motion papers, commencing about five years ago many courts began imposing minimum font size requirements. (Another way some courts deal with this is to require "word counts.") Most courts that have font size requirements specify, for proportionately spaced fonts, a minimum font size of 13 pts.

For better or worse, WORD has for several years (if not more) been by far the leadng word processing program in use at law firms. Perhaps this should not be the case, but it has consistently astonished me that at least through Office XP -- I have not yet checked Office 2003 -- Microsoft has NOT included a 13 pt option on the "format font" drop-down menu. Thus, if one wants or has to use 13 pt, one has to type the number 13 in the font size box. (I assume one could also create a "style" with a 13 pt font as the defaulit font. I have never figured out styles, and do not intend to start to now.)

I have been told by several individuals who ought to know that there is no way to add 13 pt to the font format list of pt size options. Is this true? And is Microsoft simply clueless?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 13 point font size
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 13 point font size
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:13 point font size
by JethroUK / April 25, 2004 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: 13 point font size

if it's lot trouble typing '13' in font size & you use it a lot - create a 13 pt template (.dot file) - if you [only, ever] use 13pt, then save it over the default template (normal.dot) - crisis averted

Collapse -
Re: 13 point font size
by ChuckT / April 29, 2004 4:34 PM PDT

There is a keyboard command to enlarge or shrink the selected font up or down one step in font size.

The command most people may know about is (having the selected text high-lighted) then press
"CTRL <" for font smaller one step, and
"CTRL >" for font larger one step.

However, one step is typically down or up just the even numbers beyond font size 12. So the sizes go ...,7,8,9,10,11,12,14,16... etc.
After size 28, then it starts jumping to 36, 48, 72.
Notice that it jumps over the 13 point size!!

But, there is another command,
"CTRL [" for the next font size smaller, and
"CTRL ]" for the next font size larger.

These commands actually do go through all the sizes, no jumping over any of the sizes.

You might like that as a possible solution.

Collapse -
Re:Re: 13 point font size
by JethroUK / May 5, 2004 7:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: 13 point font size

nice tip

Collapse -
Re:13 point font size
by Kees Bakker / May 5, 2004 7:28 PM PDT

No need, by the way, to use styles.

It's quite possible to make a profile (like normal.dot, call it pt13.dot, say) which has 13 points Arial as default font, and use that for this type of legal documents.

If you don't want to use styles, and don't want to use use profiles, you might be better off with a more simple text processor.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.