Storage forum

General discussion

120GB Wes Dig Ext HD-p2p network-RAID1-S/W-MS SBS Upgrade?

by SF Bob / November 27, 2004 4:41 AM PST

I recently purchased an ext 120GB Western Digital harddrive Spec. Ed. for use with my main Client Pro 545 P4 system running Windows XP, 1GB RAM and 2 120GB RAID1 mirrored HDs. I plugged it into a firewire port in rear of sys while another older Micron 500 sys, included in the p2p network, was turned off. My main Client Pro sys assigned a drive ltr to the ext hd that had been assigned to the 500 unit. Now the 500 sys is no longer seen by the network. I have tried (too many!) times to fix this, I just don't know how to reconfigure the 500 sys back so I can see it on my p2p intranet.

A red Watchguard Soho 4 port firewall is used to network 3 computers and a HP 5Si laser printer together.

Also, I need advice of a good backup system to use with this ext WD HD? Iomega told me their REV 90 unit can backup across a p2p network, but when I told him my main unit had 2 HDs being mirrored with a RAID1 controller card he told me I'd have to temporarily disconnect the RAID 1 card. Doubt if I wish to do this.

Finally, a friend is suggesting I move up to the MS Small Business Server which, as I read about it, does seem to be an alternative I should consider. It would permit remote access by me and, with set permissions, by my clients, of my CPA office server files over a VPN network; host my biz website; be able to perform scheduled backups; setup separate areas to share with clients, etc. It sounds great, and not too expensive.

All comments and thoughts greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 120GB Wes Dig Ext HD-p2p network-RAID1-S/W-MS SBS Upgrade?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 120GB Wes Dig Ext HD-p2p network-RAID1-S/W-MS SBS Upgrade?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: 120GB Wes Dig Ext HD-p2p network-RAID1-S/W-MS SBS Upgrad
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 5:59 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: 120GB Wes Dig Ext HD-p2p network-RAID1-S/W-MS SBS Upgrad
by SF Bob / November 27, 2004 7:06 AM PST

Thanks Bob!

I just looked over the DLT drives and tapes area of the link included in your message. I saw little if any discussion about what software is being used/generally used/best to use with these drives and tapes?

The software selected to do my backups specifically needs, at present, to be able to read across a peer-to-peer network of 3 machines: my main machine which, remember, has 2 mirrored hard drives with a RAID 1 controller, my front office HP unit running Win XP and my older Micron 500 running Win 98SE.

Also, if I decide to upgrade and obtain the Microsoft Small Business Server 2003, is it safe to assume that whatever backup software and DLT drives and tapes I might obtain (DLT320?) in the near future would work with that operating system? I do believe backup software is integrated into the SBS 2003 system. If so, would the DLT320 or similar hardware & tapes be compatible with that operating system?

Finally, what approximate amount of money is involved in buying the DLT320? 20 Tapes?

Bob

Collapse -
We use Veritas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 7:24 AM PST

It can be configured to backup user's machines as well.

"I do believe backup software is integrated into the SBS 2003 system. If so, would the DLT320 or similar hardware & tapes be compatible with that operating system?"

Let me share that NTBACKUP is in there, but I leave it at that for what its worth. NTBACKUP has been around for a decade so you would know what it can and can not do.

As to the DLT's you have to select what software you want.

As to prices, I don't supply such. You can ask those that sell them.

------------

If you are trying to do something cheap and unreliable or a do-it-yourself type endeavour then be sure to put such in your posts. As it is, I'll respond with top-tier and top-price solutions until you clarify what you are after.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: We use Veritas.
by SF Bob / November 27, 2004 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: We use Veritas.
If you are trying to do something cheap and unreliable or a do-it-yourself type endeavour then be sure to put such in your posts. As it is, I'll respond with top-tier and top-price solutions until you clarify what you are after.

I am a sole practitioner CPA heading into my busy tax season. I'm not trying to do anything myself, but do wish to be somewhat informed about the subject matter before contacting a local IT Group to come in to my office and give me their recomendations. I have always wanted to have at least a basic working knowledge of how my operating systems work.

You mentioned Veritas. I'm quite sure it is Veritas Backup Exec s/w that was on my Micron 500 running Win98 and writing to Travan 20GB native ns tapes. It worked great. I did try installing that b/u s/w onto my new Client Pro system running Win XP; it did not install correctly (I was not really surprised) and, apparently, that action caused the basic b/u software bundled with XP to no longer work. That is where I am now.

Your response seems to indicate that the same basic backup software found in XP is what MS includes in their Small Business Server 2003 operating ststem. Is that the case?

Somewhere in my office I have the business card of the local tech company located in SF that co-sponsored one of Microsoft's CONNECTIONS 4 hour events at the Marriott Hotel a few months back. I guess I need to find that card and set up a meeting!

Bob
Collapse -
We use the corporate type Veritas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2004 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: Re: We use Veritas.

It's very nice and the IT staff can recover a server from a total wipe-out in just a few hours. User files from the last nite if we do such daily.

If you go with some external hard disk, that's fine for a second copy, but not a backup I could count on...

Veritas and Quantum have web sites about the products, but the hard part is matching your needs with the right size product. A small office might get by with something they do themselves (most do), but that requires something to pull it together.

As to Microsoft's Backup, it's my view they need to toss NTBACKUP out and move into this century.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks a lot Bob!
by SF Bob / November 28, 2004 1:34 AM PST

Bob,

Thanks a lot for your observations and comments. I appreciate your time on this!

Bob
San Francisco

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?