Video Cameras forum

General discussion

$1200 budget - which HD camcorder would you buy today?

Canon HV10? Sony HDR-HC3?

I have heard that miniDV format is better than DVD.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: $1200 budget - which HD camcorder would you buy today?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: $1200 budget - which HD camcorder would you buy today?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What are you planning to shoot?

In reply to: $1200 budget - which HD camcorder would you buy today?

MiniDV tape does have better quality than DVD.

In High Definition, the Sony hard drive and DVD based camcorders record using AVCHD compression and there is no video editing application yet available that can deal with AVCHD formatted video.

The Sony HC3 will limit your external mic choices to Sony proprietary "active accessory shoe" capable mics. It also has a cool "smooth slow record" feature that will will record in 3 seconds that which can take 12 seconds to playback. But it does have a LANC port which is handy... and HDMI connector.

The HV10 has no mic-in jack - not even the proprietary one. But for ~$300 less (according to average interent pricing I could see), maybe there's the value delta. No equivalent to "smooth slow recording", no LANC and no HDMI... but it is smaller... and it does have a smaller imaging chip than the HC3.

With the announcement of new high definition camcorders at CES, you might find some pricing changes coming down the stream... Both cameras are fine cameras...

if you have not already seen this http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-HV10-Camcorder-Review.htm , check it out...

Collapse -
hc3 here

In reply to: $1200 budget - which HD camcorder would you buy today?

both cams write to minidv.
it is *almost* impossible to choose between the two. I would go for the hc3 as it performs better in low light.

simply put hv10 is for outdoor people and hc3 is for indoorish familyish people (because of the low light capability). this is a bit vague but cant help it.

i know this is the wrong forum to post in but is there an image and audio quality difference between HDMI and component?

Collapse -
Sony Vegas?

In reply to: hc3 here

Can Sony Vegas be used to edit the HD video?

Also, aren't most of the HD camcorders announced at CES only being released later in the year? I need to buy one within the next 2 months.

Collapse -
Sony site says...

In reply to: Sony Vegas?

Collapse -
HDV?

In reply to: Sony site says...

I'm not very familiar with HDV. Does that mean I can record in HD with one of the 2 cameras mentioned above and edit in HD w/ Sony Vegas? Are there other software packages that can do what I'm looking for? Anyone out there actually own one of these cameras? If so, what software do you use for editing your HD footage?

Also, are there any HD camcorders that will be released later this year that may be worth waiting for? If so, which models and why?

Thanks.

Collapse -
HDV = High Definition Video

In reply to: HDV?

The mini-DV tape based HDV consumer camcorders can record in 1080i high definition or regular standard definition (480 lines).

At the moment the camcorders, of note, which fall into this category include, but are not limited to: Sony HDR-HC1 (what I use, no longer made - though apparently still available if the vendor bought stock and still has them), HDR-HC3 (2006 model), HDR-HC5 and HDR-HC7 (just announced at CES), Canon HV10. There are others, but for this post, I'll stay with the less-than-$2,000 units.

The high-definition video transfers from the camcorder to the computer (for editing) using FireWire/IEEE1394/DV port/iLink (all essentially the same thing). Your computer needs to be appropriately equipped with a FireWire port. The USB connection is for transferring stills from the memory card.

Yes, according to the Sony Vegas web page, it will edit high-definition video in HDV format <http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/product.asp?PID=408>. I understand Adobe Premiere, the appropriate CyberStudio package (Producer?) and other Windows-based video editing applications are capable of editing HDV formatted video. I use a Macintosh G5 flatpanel iMac and the bundled iMovie HD (as well as FinalCut Express and FinalCut Pro which can be purchased separately) edit HDV formatted video, too.

Looking at the press releases from CNET and camcorderinfo.com, the Sony HDR-HC7 looks interesting. Bigger CMOS imager, mic-in, headphone jack, among other features... But at the moment, I am considering stepping up to either a Canon XH-A1 or Sony FX7 or FX1.

Based on http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-HDR-UX7-First-Impressions-Camcorder-Review.htm
and http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-HDR-HC7-First-Impressions-Review.htm

I need to withhold judgment on the hard drive based and DVD based camcorders because of the stated AVCHD compression image degradation. Along with that, there are currently no applications available to edit AVCHD-based video. They are supposed to be out "soon", and several companies have stated support, but there is nothing available of which I am aware. Interestingly, Sony used to have a link from the Vegas page "Special note about ACVHD" or something like that. The link is gone, but the page is still reachable... http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/product.asp?PID=404&PageID=40
and the "Supported formats at the Sony Vegas page now has a checkmark on "Advanced Video/Audio Coding (AVC/AAC)" - though I don't know if this equals AVCHD/H.264...
And AVCHD is not listed here - yet... http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=977&FeatureID=8315#all
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/product.asp?PID=408&PageID=17

That said, the newly announced JVC hard drive based camcorder also looks interesting, (no AVCHD) <http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/JVC-GZ-HD7-First-Impressions-Review.htm>
but JVC rigs have not historically provided good results, though this one looks like it might have a good shot - so withholding judgment here, too...

If you decide to go down this path, be aware that you need a REALLY fast CPU to import and render high-def stuff. Also, available hard drive space for projects is a must. One hour of HDV is over 30 gig on a hard drive. External FireWire drives are acceptable; internals are great, too. And last: for the most part, when you render thihigh def video to *most* single layer and double layer DVDs today, that video will be downsampled to standard definition... REALLY CLEAR standrad def, but still standard def. The only BluRay-capable burner I am currently aware of is in a Sony machine... I am not aware of any HD-DVD burners available for any personal computers. And the players are still too expensive. A way around this is to export the project to you computer's hard drive - and play-back through your computer (if you have either HDMI or component connectivity out to a HDTV or monitor...

Sorry for the "long answer to short questions"...

Collapse -
Which HD cam?

In reply to: Sony Vegas?

First, no, Sony Vegas *cannot* yet edit the AVCHD from the new HDD cams like the SR1. Apparently there is a plugin to Adobe Premiere that does allow such editing, and I think we'll see editing capability in a matter of a month or two. But it's not here yet.

Don't buy an HC3. It's made obsolete by the new HC7 (which has an external Mic in). HC7 should be out in February.

Collapse -
HC5/HC7 w/ Sony Vegas?

In reply to: Which HD cam?

So will Sony Vegas be able to edit the HD footage from the new HC5 or HC7 models?

It sounds like I should wait until next month and consider the HC5/HC7 over the Sony HDR-HC3 or Canon HV10...what would you guys do???

Thx.

Collapse -
Because the Sony HC5 or HC7 models

In reply to: HC5/HC7 w/ Sony Vegas?

use miniDV tape and do not use AVCHD compression (as Sony's hard drive and DVD based high definition camcorders do) and Sony Vegas (and lots of other personal-computer video editing applications) handle HDV formatted tape just fine (as they handle today's HDR-HC1, HC1 and others).

Since the HD7 has a proper mic-in jack, I'd be looking at that one (I use a HC1 today).

Your follow-on question should be whether your computer (CPU, RAM, FireWire port, hard drive with LOTS of available space, double layer DVD burner or better) can handle high definition video-in and rendering in response times acceptable to you...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.