General discussion

120 Hz screen message

I recently purchased a 120Hz Samsung. Whenever I swich channels, I get a message telling me that it is running on 60Hz. Is there a setting or is this normal?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 120 Hz screen message
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 120 Hz screen message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) Might help if you tell the model number.
- Collapse -
Samsung 120Hz

Model #: LN46C610N1FXZC
Samsung 46" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV** (LN46C610)
Thanks for your help

- Collapse -
(NT) Bingo.
- Collapse -
Sorry about that....

I meant to confirm what cohbraz noted.

The TV will always show a 120hz signal, because it will process whatever signal is being sent. Most cable boxes, Blu-Ray players, etc. will send a 60hz signal, and the television will process the image and give you 120hz. It doesn't matter if the incoming signal is 24, 30 or 60Hz, it will always show AT 120hz.

However, some people like the film look of 24Hz, and others like 60hz. There may be a difference if you change the source signal from 24 to 60, but that would be personal preference. The TV is working properly, in that it's just telling you what the incoming signal is. Does that make sense?

--HDTech

- Collapse -
That is normal.

That is normal. The TV is showing you the refresh rate of the incoming signal. The TV will then take that signal and covert it to 120Hz for the LCD panel to display.

CNET Forums

Forum Info