The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

12/17/04 Describe your relationship with your computer?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 15, 2004 1:26 AM PST

How would you describe your relationship with your computer?

I regard it as my best friend
It's my worst enemy
It's just a tool for work/school
I use it as an entertainment machine
It's my primary means of communication
I don't know, we just started dating
I think it's a necessary evil

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 12/17/04 Describe your relationship with your computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 12/17/04 Describe your relationship with your computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Finding Something Better
by rfultonjr / December 16, 2004 9:52 PM PST

What a ridiculous question. If this question actually appeals to you, I would recommend that you find something more meaningful with which to have a relationship - find a friend, find Jesus, find Jesus with a friend. Get a life. Seriously.

Collapse -
New Age??/
by rileyt / December 20, 2004 2:29 AM PST

I know a pastor who preaches thatcomputers are Satan's Tools against Christ! So why do you have one?

Collapse -
relationship with my computer
by rigor37 / December 17, 2004 12:02 AM PST

I regard my computer as my bestfriend...All my querries are answered using my computer...

Collapse -
Relationship with my computer
by nanC / December 17, 2004 5:24 AM PST

I use it as a primary source of communications both business and personal. Addresses are right at your finger tips, and of course much faster then snail mail. It is also a source for information about anything, I bet I go to google at least twice a day trying to find an answer to question that pops into my head. Is it possible, that I am getting smarter? It is so easy to find an answer and store it in my memory bank? In reality my memory bank may break down more then my computer.

Collapse -
Describe your relationship with your computer?
by Mystic58 / December 17, 2004 6:05 AM PST

My computer use is that of a toy: I play around on it & with the internet & (at times) it 'plays' around with me! Over the years, I've run the gammet: typing in programs for hours just to have them wiped out with a thunderstorm's power outage; getting a virus from a 'free' program given to me by a 'friend' via a floppy disc; now, updates from MSN that wipe-out my functioning sound system so I have to wipe-out the updates! I just keep playing. What fun! LOL

Collapse -
My PC is now integral part of my lifestyle
by cvismeg / December 17, 2004 8:44 AM PST

Time has past when the relationship with my computer can be evaluated in emotional terms since it is now integral part of my daily life, financial and banking, correspondance, shopping and inquiries, science, medical, news, forums, foreign (overseas) searches and very importantly for a popaholic like me, music related searches.
Frustrations aside like those well described in previous comments, in my judgement the benefits contributed to a more "streamlined" lifestyle, it is an aid that would be difficult to be without.

Collapse -
A relationship? With a computer? Mayb you need a better word
by mohitshewaramani / December 17, 2004 8:14 AM PST

I don't think I really have a relationship with my computer. Yea, yea...I can't live without my computer....I use it for school, personal stuff, playing games, going on the internet, music, sometimes movies....Lotta stuff....
But it's just a machine to me...A useful machine....But just a machine...Nothing more.

Collapse -
relationship with a computer?
by photogenie / December 17, 2004 9:42 AM PST

That pretty well says it for me. I have two main philosphies about computers, (1) they're are not here to stay and (2) I do stuff with them because I can not because I need to.

Collapse -
Best friend or necessary evil ?
by blivett / December 17, 2004 8:21 AM PST

I once used to regard my computer as my best friend. All that stopped when Spam mail and offensive graphics invaded my cyberspace. Now I regard it as a necessary evil - only because I am dependent on certain functions it performs for me (including email) but continually frustrated by the capricious nature of attempted electronic intrusions (some succesful) of my firewall. So I spend time I would otherwise have spent surfing the waves at the beach, instead surfing the internet for better solutions to combat my unseen virtual enemy. As a result my family suffers, my health suffers, my bandwidth suffers, my bank halance suffers and my sleep time suffers. At least in my dreams, there is as yet no intrusion from these global warriors, and I sometimes fantasize that my computer will again one day be my best fried.

Collapse -
by bassplayer / December 17, 2004 8:43 AM PST

i have a good relationship with my pc!

Collapse -
by gene256 / December 17, 2004 11:59 AM PST

I regard it as my best friend. An available indispensable tool which if used beyond the trivial, can expand our horizons outside our colored cacoon enclosures.
Even Heaven without computers would be somehow boring!

Collapse -
my carpel tunnel knows the truth

I'd like to say we have a casual relationship, but I'd be lying. I find myself on the computer for everything these days: work, social communication, finances, shopping, travel. And I'm not sure it's a good thing, at least in all areas.

Collapse -
by Jim Baber / December 18, 2004 12:01 AM PST

Entertainment, keeping abreast of whats going on in Info. Tech. world since my retirement. I've worked in computer related job since 1954. Because of health issues I have to avoid many of my past hobbies.

Collapse -
How would you describe your relationship with your computer?

it IS my worst enemy - you know, can't live with, can't live without. So sad. Spend a lot of time browsing, playing, searching, learning. Is a wonderful tool until it decides to flip out and behave like a 4-year-old! But I'm sure we'll be friends for years to come (depends who of us dies first!)

Collapse -
12/17/04 Describe your relationship with your computer?
by no9to5wdm / December 18, 2004 1:14 PM PST

Can I choose 2 answers?
It is my best friend when it is working correctly, and my worst ememy when it isn't working correctly. Then it is driving my blood presure UP and It drives my family nuts, NO it is not fixed yet! Because I take it as a chellange that I am NOT going to let this machine beat me. I am going to fix it and make it work even it takes me all week, and it has. 1. I do not know much about computers. 2. my sons got me hooked on them (computers) several years ago, #1 son, would get parts for me to up grade, ect. and show me how to do it. #2 son, would tell me what to get or get it; hand it to me with the instructions and a statement: "If you have a problem, call me." That to a MOM that is band from under the hood of a car for the last 42 years. IS THIS NORMAL FOR A COMPUTER TO DO THIS TO A PERSON THAT JUST WANTS TO GET WORK DONE?

Collapse -
Definately a good friend. [NT]
by glenn30 / December 19, 2004 11:53 PM PST
Collapse -
My Computer is a Special Toy
by Rainero / December 21, 2004 9:57 AM PST

It's a Toy that have a lot of gizmo in it. I/you can modify the hardware/software/gadgets/looks that will suit you taste.

It's about time to treat it as your special toy so that you will take care of it.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?