The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

12/10/04 How do you typically transfer data from one computer to another?

How do you typically transfer data from one computer to another?

CD or DVD
FTP server
Local-area network
Portable hard drive
USB flash drive
Floppies or Zip drives
I use the Force, Luke
Other

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 12/10/04 How do you typically transfer data from one computer to another?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 12/10/04 How do you typically transfer data from one computer to another?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Got a new computer

Hi, my old dell has 2K and the new gateway has XP and my old old gateway has windows 95.

I want to transfer from the old old to the new and from the old dell to the new.

I sent for a program, came with cables from gateway, called intellimover

trying to figure out what to do, and how best to do it.
I suspect i wasted my money and didn't really need this program to do this.

what say you

ps: i saw i think from Radio Shack ad a connection that allows you to operate two computers with one monitor, speaker, keyboard, mouse. Is there such a thing and would that be a better option for me.

thanks, josie

Collapse -
Got a new computer

In reply to: Got a new computer

My main method of data transfer from one machine to another is by a LAN. Cheap to set up and fast to use.
The kit you mentioned in your ps. is probably a KVM switch, it is usefull if you want 2 computers and dont have the deskspace for 2 of everthing else. K= keyboard. V= video ie. monitor and M= Mouse. It can be pricey, about

Collapse -
Transfer by CD, DVD, Zip Drive and Floppy [NT]
Grin
Collapse -
Cat 5 bypass cable

If you do not have a network with switch or router, it is easy to use a crossover cable and move files from one computer to an other. Both computers have to have LAN cards or on board LAN but most computers sold in the last 6 or 7 years do. You can pick up LAN card for free(after rebate) to $10.00 if your computer does not have one. Crossover cables are only a few bucks
A few GigaBytes per minute should be fast enough for anyone.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) transferring data from computer to computer
Collapse -
transferring data

In reply to: (NT) transferring data from computer to computer

I have a USB flash drive. I'm not sure how to transfer data from one computer to another. The instructions with the flash drive are not very clear. jim day

Collapse -
Physically connecting Computer

Once the PCs have the LAN cards and you connect via cable,don't you have to instruct software to tell the PCs to handshake. And if so, what software.

Lattyl

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) how to transferr data from old computer to new computer

In reply to: Physically connecting Computer

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.