PC Hardware forum

Question

110 to 230

by adelarny / July 25, 2013 7:50 AM PDT

Hello Guys,
I just moved down from the United States to Nigeria with my dell xps410. The power does support both 110V and 230V. I switched it to 230V. Apparently nothing works but there is a green light on the mother board that turns on. Any ideas what could be going wrong? I have tried to clear the cmos by connecting the jumper for 3 minutes. How do I rectify this? Is there any switch or a button just to idiot proof it.
Dell xps 410
Intel VIIV (core 2 duo)
500G raid 0 setup
4G Ram
Windows 7 64 bit

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 110 to 230
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 110 to 230
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Bad news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2013 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: 110 to 230
http://www.currentsolutions.com/articles.php?id=8 shows this to be 50 Hz and since the USA was 60 Hz all bets are off that the voltage change alone will work.

You are also dealing with the fact the PC has traveled a long distance and your PC tech needs to go over it to check for the usual failures.
Bob
Collapse -
Hello
by adelarny / July 25, 2013 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad news.

I have opened it and noticed nothing outrageous everything seems intact

Collapse -
Yet you still have the 60 to 50 Hz issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2013 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello

Let's hope you have local support and what are you using to get here?

Collapse -
Answer
Voltage changes
by mjd420nova / July 28, 2013 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: 110 to 230

Many of the power supply plugin for AC power to the unit are modular. Along with the switch, built into the plastic for the plug is a pull out fuse holder. The fuse is in a clip and a square hole behind "might" hold a spare. Check the current rating and when switching from 60 to 50 cycles, a ten percent could be added safely to the fuse value to make up for the longer peak currents.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.