Cameras forum

General discussion

10x optical zoom cameras

by mariorodro / February 8, 2004 9:29 AM PST

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the 10x optical zoom cameras (olympus c750, kodak easyshare dx6490, etc..). I am a newbie to digital cameras, but think I want to have a high optical zoom as i plan on photographing landscapes, nature, etc...

Is there anything I should watch out for with the 10x optical zoom? I'm leaning towards the kodak but want to learn more first.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 10x optical zoom cameras
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 10x optical zoom cameras
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:10x optical zoom cameras
by snapshot / February 8, 2004 12:26 PM PST

Since you are wanting to learn more, you should include 2 more long lens cameras.

The Panasonic DMC-FZ10 and Minolta DiMage Z1

With long lens cameras the one complaint you will see quite often is that the camera is slow to autofocus or will not autofocus at all sometimes.

This is usually caused by people who are hand-holding the camera while taking a 10x zoom picture. You can not hold the camera steady enough for the camera to lock focus. This also leads to complaints about blurred or out of focus pictures. So plan on buying a tripod for those long shots.

People who take wildlife photos love their long lens cameras. They get some fantastic shots of animals and birds.

There are two elements that are unique to the Kodak camera. It does not have a manual focus, and you have little control of the amount of .jpg compression. Some people think the .jpg photos are over compressed.

Collapse -
Canon Powershot S1 IS just announced (10X Zoom)
by snapshot / February 8, 2004 11:56 PM PST
Collapse -
by bobbyz / February 12, 2004 3:41 AM PST
Collapse -
by notmercyful / February 15, 2004 5:53 PM PST

I have a C750 Olympus with 4 megapixel. I can take up to 40x with digital telephoto. 3x to 4x is all I'd want to go with the digital zoom, the 10x optical is great. I have converter lens [ebay] to 2x tel. and .5x wide angle. The 2x =sq. root of 2, so adding 1.4x to the optical, in reality. 8x10 photos are really amazing. And you could go larger [poster] with this setup. It will take tiff images, if you want to go big, or really detailed.
I hand hold often at maximum telephoto. I also use a 1300mm lens on my slr. So I'm use to long shots. It is all about how much light you have , to determine the settings. On Olympus, you hold down half way, to set focus in AF mode, then shoot. There are aperture and shutter manual settings, as well. Depends on your level of understanding. Oh, white light balancing is a consideration in digital. Way too many features to tell in a forum message.
One thing to consider, if you are going to do a lot of landscapes, is the olympus xd card can handle multipe images to transpose together, in the panoramic mode. Nice feature that other cards don't support, at least with Olympus camera. You can also set 4 separate "my settings" configurations, for on the go, changing light situations. It is simply loaded with features. Add .wav to a still image, take movie, depending on your card, etc. And the editing software is impressive.

Collapse -
Re:Re:10x optical zoom cameras
by Steve Mc / February 17, 2004 9:50 PM PST

I'm also considering the C750, so thanks for the info. Question on the Xd card: The panarama ability - Could you expand on that a bit ? I though memory is memory, but apparently not. I came across a Sandisk Xd256, but if it doesn't have the panarama ability that the Olympus Xd has, then maybe it's not as good a deal/price as I thought.

Thanks,

Collapse -
by 7thom77 / February 16, 2004 7:44 AM PST

I own the Olympic C750 4MP. I get great pictures when using the optical zoom. When using the digital zoom I found I need to use a tripod, especially when at the high range. If the subject is a scene or still, I get very good pictures. Moving subjects are very much harder when using the digital at the the high range.
C750 having a 10x optical zoom is the reason I bought it and I am not disappointed.
The C750 is 5MP now.

Collapse -
by _JIM_ / March 15, 2004 6:57 AM PST

I just bought a kodak 6490. I use a wheelchair and the Zoom was one of my main buying motivators.
I like the overall camera very much.

BUT:
I was just about to post a question when I saw yours.

That camera has a 38mm lense and their is a thread for filters but no one even the lense manufacturer or Kodak have anything in the 38mm size.
I am in the process of finding something so I can protect the lense.
The local camera store that also sells Kodak was astonished when they couldn't get anything even from Kodak.
Had I had a hint of this, I probably would not have purchased this camera.
Jim

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.