TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

1080p question

if I buy a Samsung HL-R7178W DLP tv and watch an over the air tv show, how will it show on the tv. Will it show at 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p? please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1080p question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1080p question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Aspect Ratio 4:3 vs 16:9 signal viewing

In reply to: 1080p question

Hello,

It is really quite simple. Depending on the signal that is being broadcast or for that matter whatever source you provide that is less than widescreen 1080p, you will have several options for displaying the content.

One, when it comes to the resolution you can always change the settings on your display to reflect the source. Also available are upconverts. However, in order to get a quality picture you will need to purchase a high quaulity converter.

Two, you can watch the source in it's native aspect ratio which will create black bars on the top, bottom and sides of the screen. This is the most ideal way to watch these sources rather than the next option.

Three, use your displays settings to stretch the source video to the full screen of your display which result in distortions.

So, how will a signal of less than 1080p widescreen look? Depends on what you are most interested in. I personally would watch these video sources in their native resolutions and aspect ratios.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions, feel free to let me know.

Take Care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC
www.wiresmart.com
shawn@wiresmart.com

How To Build A Home Theater PC ebook coming soon! visit www.wiresmart.com

Collapse -
Re:1080p question

In reply to: 1080p question

What resolution your 1080p will display at depends whether or not the pixels are fixed. Plasma, DLP and LCD all have a specific number of fixed pixels. They are where they are. All information is then upconverted to 1080p, but like the gentleman before me indicated, you may still have letterboxing.

On the other hand, the number of pixels on a CRT are not fixed. While not on the horizon, a cathode ray tube (CRT) gun could theoretically be given different instructions to fire at 720p, 1080i, 1080p etc. The screen it fires onto has phosphors that glow, but the gun gets aimed differently depending on the format. Thus, the direct view 30, 32 and 34 CRT HDTVs that are now available can display at native 720p or 1080i depending on the signal.

The typical 4:3 TV we have been watching for years has been a 480i CRT with no options as to how the CRT gun gets fired.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.