Question

1080P OLED or 4K

I'm looking at a couple of similarly priced TVs, one is 1080p OLED the other 4K LED.

Haven't been able to view them side by side yet, but it never seems like a TV looks as good at home as it does on display anyways.

So generally, if you had the choice would you go with the 4K or OLED 1080P?

Viewing/usage description: Its a living room TV so I sit about 7-8' away. I'm about 70% movies and TV, but the 30% is the gamer in me who keeps seeing all of the Xbox and PlayStation games being released in 4K and I don't want to miss out on anything there either.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 1080P OLED or 4K
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 1080P OLED or 4K
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Need to be more specific with makes/models involved

Otherwise, it's a completely useless endeavor IMNSHO.

Also, one user's usage patterns may be different than another (and technology upgrade priorities), so going to a 4K HDTV now might not amount to a hill of beans Wink

cheers

- Collapse -
More Info

Thanks Pepe, the models I am looking at are the LG 55EC9300 (OLED), then the Samsung UN55JS8500.

Runner up after going to the store is a Sony XBR55X850C, Android TV being appealing if it was equal in picture quality to the other two.

What I care mostly about is having fast motion images (movies, sports, etc) without the horrible motion blur of my LG 60LB7100. Gaming being a secondary interest but if 4K or OLED have any advantage in that area, it would weigh in.

Content sources are Comcast X1, Vudu, Netflix, PS4, Xbox One.

- Collapse -
OLED Issues

I just spoke to an LG rep at the local store who took a lot of effort to warn me off of the OLED.

I honestly get the impression none of these people know what they are talking about, but he made a case that OLED has not been picked up by other manufacturers because the burn in issues are so severe that you will lose brightness and pic quality as the TV ages at increasing rates. Went as far as to say by year 3 of an OLED, you'll be asking for the 1080p TV your trying to replace now.

Whats the over/under on the BS factor here? Seemed like a contradiction that the display OLED was last years model and since it stays on all day everyday for presumably a year and looked frickin amazing, but his pushback was that they never pause the image therefore no burn in.

- Collapse -
Or it's this old issue.

A salesperson steers you to what they want to sell. As such the BS factor is pretty high.

- Collapse -
Rarely are sales staff technologists

Nor are they typically people who have done real world ('in the wild') comparisons between various models.
Often they don't even understand how room lighting affects perceived PQ.

All that said, IME you should worry less about jumping into OLED yet and more about maximuzing bang for your buck.
The early OLEDs are still not perfected, but the LED cousins are. In this regard, the JS8500 is arguably the better value (and likely performer too). Not only does it offer 4K, but more importantly, 10 bit panels that are capable of providing HDR (i.e. Really amazing colors/images).
More info on that here-

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdr-tv-high-dynamic-television-explained

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hdr-for-tvs-and-why-should-you-care/

Hth,
P

- Collapse -
Answer
CNET might give the nod to OLED.

CNET Forums