TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

1080p/HDMI/LCD TV's Price Drops?

Hi to the CNET community, it's a pleasure to find a place for tech junkies to unite ^^

Heres my situation. As most you should know by now the next generation of home console systems (namely Sony Playstion 3) are releasing by the end of this year. In tune with that I thought it's finally time to upgrade to a very nice highend TV to keep up with all the new hardware.

To that end, I'm looking for an LCD HDTV with 1080p compatibility through an HDMI input to get the absolute best picture possible. Now I've been doing quite a bit of research these last few days and from what I understand any TV's that actually meet those requisites are very high priced. Ideally I'd like my budget for the TV not to exceed about $1800 USD. This way I can still afford the new surround sound system I'll really need to enjoy all that HD stuff.

Now onto the "actual" question. Is it reasonable to expect LCD TV's to have any significant price drops within the next 4-7 months?Around that time the console should have launched supposedly and if I cannot find a set which supports the 1080p with hdmi in, I'll be perfectly willing to get the next best thing with 720p/1080i. (By the by if anyone is looking a good Tv like that, you would be smart to look into the 32" Panasonic TC-32LX50)

Thanks for reading my little request, would appreciate any answers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1080p/HDMI/LCD TV's Price Drops?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1080p/HDMI/LCD TV's Price Drops?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1080p/HDMI/LCD TV's Price Drops?

In reply to: 1080p/HDMI/LCD TV's Price Drops?

1080p is mostly sizzle,,,maybe some day in galaxy far, far away it will be common place. OK in a couple of years anyway.
There are some 1080p sets they are new, new=expensive!!
If you can only afford a Chevy don't go shopping at the Royls Royce dealer.
So far most of the 1080p sets are highend DLP, Plasma and LCoS, no LCD that I have seen.
LCD TVs are not the best for gaming, slow responce times is a problem, but getting better.
A 34" CRT wil be good for gaming and cost $1000 or so.
OK heavy but it will handel games. But again 1080i is the max.
1080i and 1080p have the SAME resoultion,1920X1080!!!
The difference is how it is delivered, progressive or interlaced. This is a big difference as 1080p takes double the bandwidth of 1080i.
Look for the best TV in your price range. John

Collapse -
Advantages/Disadvantages

Thanks for your time John,

I've done more research then you can imagine in the last few days and I belive I have a comfortable understanding of all the advantages/disadvantages when it comes to LCD.

For response times, this was actually a major hinderence for early generations of LCD your right, however the technology has advanced to the point that it isnt quite as bad as previous owners had it. Personally I'm shooting for anywhere less then or equal then 14ms response time.

CRT's, though generally considered to be the best for viewing needs, are as you said, heavy, bulky, and all around BIG! Silly

Now the resolution bit. I understand that 1080i and 1080p have the same native resolution, 1920X1080, however I've personally seen the difference of sometihng showing in 720i as opposed to 720p, and the difference is very noticible to myself at least. Along the same lines since I will primarily be using the TV for things like games and movies where there will likely be fast moving objects flying around the screen the progressive playback of 1080p sounds all the better suited.

I really do hope to find a 1080p cheap later though Grin

Collapse -
DAVIDVA WHY ARE YOU PICKING ON ME?

In reply to: Advantages/Disadvantages

I get this remark whenever I talk about my 3 ton 3 tube Sony rptv ( why do you own such a huge heavy old piece of junk) my answer is I only paid $2500 for it half the price for your l.c.d. t.v. and no one would dare rip it off , it would take four thiefs and a moving truck to steal it ha ha. also I can stick my nose to the screen and the picture still looks great no pixles but yess i may upgrade as soon as I can afford a new Sony QUALLA projector, good luck to you stewart

Collapse -
sometihng showing in 720i ???

In reply to: Advantages/Disadvantages

There is only 720p at 25/30/50/60 Hz.
My 47" CRT RP wieghts 85lbs. OH ON someone could carry it off!!! Oh me, Oh my, What will I do, Wait I have an attack cat. John

Collapse -
480**

In reply to: sometihng showing in 720i ???

My mistake, your're right, I was thinking of 480 with standard definition.

^^

Collapse -
1080p available from PANASONIC in May......

Maybe in the new TH-50PX600. A new chip (from a group venture from Sony, IBM, & Toshiba) will power
the new Sony PS/3.
There is a dirth of material available in 1080p res.
I'm sure Sony will be building sets to support it when
needed.
LCD flat panels, probably not ready for big price
drops. RP perhaps.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.