Camcorders forum

General discussion

1080i HDV Tape question?

by Rwatson626 / March 3, 2007 11:55 PM PST

I have a HDV camcorder (Sony HDR-HDC7) do I need HDV tapes to record in 1080i or can miniDV tapes also record in 1080i.

Thanks
Ron

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1080i HDV Tape question?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1080i HDV Tape question?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Found my answer
by Rwatson626 / March 4, 2007 12:03 AM PST

Switchable HD/DV Format Recording

The HDR-HC7 is capable of recording and playing back both high definition (HD) and standard definition (SD) video recorded on a standard MiniDV cassette.

But why offer Mini DV HD tapes then?

Collapse -
Problem with a DV tape recording in "HDV1080i" mode
by kszrom / April 1, 2008 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Found my answer

I taped using a miniDV tape (sony brand), letting my Sony HDR HC7 record in HDV/DV auto mode. It appears to have recorded in HDV1080i onto the miniDV tape and I can playback on the camcorder screen without a problem. But Final Cut Pro won't let me import it because it says it can't see my camera via i-Link. I had used an HDV tape prior to this and had no trouble logging and capturing into Final Cut. Help?

Collapse -
"They" claim the increased amount
by boya84 / March 4, 2007 1:08 AM PST

of information from 1080i recording needs a "better" tape to reduce dropouts. High Definition video is ~ 4x more data than standard definition video.

I have been using "normal" (Sony and Panasonic) MiniDV tapes in my Sony HDR-HC1 for about a year (about 150 hours of video capture), and have not had a single drop-put...

Collapse -
Conventional wisdom says don't switch brands of tape. Pick
by Kiddpeat / March 4, 2007 7:11 AM PST

one, and stay with it.

Collapse -
I had read that...
by boya84 / March 4, 2007 11:51 AM PST

and have not had issues using either Sony or Panasonic as indicated (knocking on my head). Admittedly, I use the Sony's about 85% of the time... and the Panasonic tapes only if there are no Sony's on the shelf and I am in a pinch.

What's the reason for staying with a single tape manufacturer? Is it technically proven or "word of mouth" conventional wisdom? (Not that it makes a difference - I am just curious.)

Collapse -
Apparently, different manufacturers use different chemicals
by Kiddpeat / March 4, 2007 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: I had read that...

in their tapes. Mixing the chemicals can foul the heads and make it necessary to get them cleaned. One claimed result is an increase in drop outs. I now use only Sony Premium tape, and I haven't had as many drop outs as I was getting for awhile.

Collapse -
Thanks... interesting...
by boya84 / March 5, 2007 12:20 AM PST

Who knew? I figured bonding rust to plastic had only so many ways (chemical interactions) to happen... but I suppose that is one reason there are different brands...

Are you aware of any qualitative data or is this just word of mouth? I appreciate the anecdotal evidence you shared that you have not had dropouts since moving to Sony tapes.

Before you settled on the Sony Premium MiniDV tapes (with the blue and black wrapper... and red tape cover mechanism on the the tape, right?), what were you using? When you started using the Sony tapes, was that on a new camera?

Frankly, I like using the Sony tapes because writing with a black sharpie on the red is easier to read than on the dark blue Panasonic cover. That I have not had any dropouts is table stakes from my viewpoint...

Collapse -
I was using Maxells. Both of my cameras were bought used, so
by Kiddpeat / March 5, 2007 1:10 AM PST

there was no way of knowing what tape they used before. When I began encountering drop outs, I switched to Sony tapes and asked about the problem. Part of the advice I got was to avoid switching tape brands. I have a GL2 which was purchased new, and it has always used Sony Premium.

Some of the premiums have a blue label. B&H ships them with an orange label, but they are still Sony Premium. Yes, they have a red tape cover.

I tried Panasonic once. It was a disaster. The first tape of a 3-pack convinced my camera that it was full. The second tape recorded OK, but, during capture, I discovered there was no audio. The third tape scored two points going into the trash can.

BTW, I now try to avoid drop out problems (I usually spot them as audio interruptions) by recording the audio on an M-Audio portable recorder. I also try to use two cameras so I can cut between the cameras.

Collapse -
Interesting on the P-brand tapes...
by boya84 / March 5, 2007 1:34 AM PST

I was just starting on the road to a second camera... I figured capturing audio on two cameras would cover the field recorder requirement... but perhaps not...

Anyway, now that I dragged us down a rat-hole, thank you for your thoughts. I apologize to the original poster...

Collapse -
Yes, the second camera helps cover the audio hole. However,
by Kiddpeat / March 5, 2007 2:36 AM PST

its sound usually differs from the first camera. That means it's tough to do a seamless transition. That's why I use the M-Audio recorder.

Collapse -
DV and HDV are the same bitrate
by jmg1983 / March 6, 2007 11:29 AM PST

Actually, the HDV format is not "more" data than standard definition DV. HDV is an MPEG2 compression stream and is 25Mbps - exactly the same bitrate as DV, but different method of compression. So, 10 min of DV would be the same size as 10 min of HDV.

Professionals should be the only ones inclined to buy the more expensive "HDV" tapes, no need to spend all that money for amateur shooting.

Collapse -
Interesting...
by boya84 / March 6, 2007 1:37 PM PST

Then why does one hour of standard definition video and 1 hour of haigh definition video take up vastly different amounts of space on my computer? The de/code is different?

I grant you that they use the same amount of tape... 1 hour...

Collapse -
Yes.
by Kiddpeat / March 6, 2007 10:29 PM PST
In reply to: Interesting...

One is DV. The other is mpeg2. That's one of the problems of high def.

Collapse -
Both the same
by nicklinn / May 24, 2009 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting...

Your computer is likely transcoding the imported data into it's own format which could be loss less or less loss then the mpeg2 on the tape.

The problem with mpeg2 is that it uses a 15 frame GOP (group of pictures) which 14 of the frames are derived from differences of 1 key frame. If a bit of dust knocks out a key-frame causing the loss of data to cascade and potentially taking out the whole GOP something that doesn't happen on DV so a dropped frame isn't as big of deal meaning cheaper tapes are ok.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?