General discussion

1080 streaming for on demand movies

Hello.
Can anyone tell me if Amazon 'movies on demand' provides 1080 picture quality and if so, what devices are available that can pass that to my 1080 tv?

My Vierra plasma 1080 tv can access Amazon 'movies on demand', but I dont know if they stream and play at 1080.

I have a Roku on a second tv, but I believe it passes the video at 720.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 1080 streaming for on demand movies
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 1080 streaming for on demand movies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
To the best of my knowledge
- Collapse -
1080 streaming

Thanks for your reply. I checked the Amazon link you sent to me and it was informative. I cut and pasted a section of it for further dialog.

It is:

"What is the quality of the videos?
The video quality we deliver will depend on your internet connection. We'll automatically detect your connection speed and send you the highest quality stream your connection can support. Our standard definition files are comparable to DVD quality and our HD files are even better. Our HD files are streamed in high-quality 720p resolution, or can be downloaded to TiVo at 1080i resolution."

I have one question.

Since I don't want to buy a TiVo, but want to buy a BlueRay player(that connects to Amazon), is there any way I can determine if it will stream the 1080?

I have a wired connection directly to my cable modem.

Thank you for your help.

- Collapse -
My take;

For streaming, with/without Tivo, 720P max. 1080i with download only (not streaming).

- Collapse -
720p only for streams

Vudu and XboxLive Marketplace are the only on demand services I know of that stream at 1080.

Keep in mind that streaming such content requires a LOT of bandwidth (Vudu requires a minimum of 8 Mbps for its HDX movies) and even then it's not always perfect experience (some stuttering, re-buffering, etc). 1080p, 1080i, and 720p are just numbers. They say nothing about the quality of the image you will see. Lots of factors go into the puzzle that is digital picture quality. Resolution is just one portion of that puzzle. Bitrate is arguably more important. High bitrate sources (like blu-ray) can make 1080p content look stunning. Low bitrate sources (think YouTube over a slow connection) can make that same content look like blocky garbage... but it still can be considered "1080p".

- Collapse -
720p only for streams

Thank you for your replys. I appreciate the information.

CNET Forums

Forum Info