Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

1080 P STOP IT

by stewart norrie / December 7, 2006 2:27 AM PST

With my own old eyes I finally am able to see the difference between I and P On my 72" set I saw mabey a 5% better picture with my new blue ray player WHY STRESS ABOUT HAVING TO BUY A 1080P With a good set up you are going to have a movie theater quality picture in 1080I WHY WANT SOMETHING BETTER? I only hope blue ray takes off picture quality over the top was it worth $1000 ? it is built like a tank beautiful to look at and if I will be able to rent new movies that would be awsome stew happy day all

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Stewee....
by Dan Filice / December 7, 2006 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: 1080 P STOP IT

I agree, and in my opinion, most people have never seen how good a 480p picture looks from a standard-def DVD. But as I've said, we tend to be new toy lemmings and we all follow the first one off the technology cliff. Oh wait...you're leading the pack, aren't you? Happy

Collapse -
HI DAN HAPPY HOLIDAYS
by stewart norrie / December 8, 2006 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: Stewee....

HERE IS MY PERSONAL STORY JUST FOR YOU. When I was in grade school about 1946 o **** I operated the 16m.m. sound projectors for our school (that was the start of my life in electronics) Well the school gave my dad money to rent movies for a school event. Anyway dad took me to this gentlemans house we were taken downstairs and there it was a real small movie theater . On the side walls there were 100s of 16m.m. movies and a projection booth with 2 projectors and 2 huge speakers and a large movie screen. Ever since then I have wanted to have a system like this Now I do hi-def is the neetest thing since sliced bread and the best part is now anyone can have a nice home theater system for very little money MARRY XMAS TO ALL MY FRIENDS HERE AT CNET GOD BLESS YOU ALL now back to my poker game ha ha stew

Collapse -
stew is jealous
by bevillan / December 7, 2006 6:50 AM PST

Stew, just admit it...you are jealous of all of our Sony SXRD 1080p TVs.

Collapse -
(NT) Hear, hear, my 55" SXRD rocks.
by Coryphaeus / December 7, 2006 9:35 AM PST
In reply to: stew is jealous
Collapse -
SORRY, IF I MISSED IT STEWIE, BUT WHAT MODEL.........
by Riverledge / December 7, 2006 7:22 AM PST

BLU-RAY did you buy? Just curious. PIONEER?

river.

Collapse -
hi. mr River
by stewart norrie / December 7, 2006 9:29 AM PST

Sony BDP-S1 one last coment Last nite I re-installed my old Denon 2910 player to play standard d.v.d.s I found the Denon puts out a better picture than the Sony seems Denon does a better job at upconverting happy day stews

Collapse -
Can you return it?
by Coryphaeus / December 7, 2006 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: hi. mr River

And get the PS3 and save half a grand?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!