TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

$1000 home theater

by sporter86 / April 4, 2008 7:26 AM PDT

I'm looking for a home theater (speakers and receiver only-have tv, dvd) for around $1000, preferably less.

I'm a college student in a studio apartment type setting. The room is about 15x15. Obviously I plan on keeping the system for a while even when I finish college (~2 years), so planning for a slightly larger room would be ideal. Although, my current setting is fairly crowded so floorstanding loudspeakers are definitely not possible.

Movies and television would be the primary use, some music, but not much. Cnet's suggestions appear to lead me toward the onkyo 908 system or the onkyo 990thx system. As I'm not quite as big on the video side, the lack of hdmi on the 990 system doesn't really bother me. I've seen this system for $700 including shipping at some authorized sites.

Anyways, suggestions please for a movie soundtrack-oriented sub $1000 system of receiver and speakers.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: $1000 home theater
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: $1000 home theater
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
out of time, i may add later
by jostenmeat / April 4, 2008 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: $1000 home theater

room is too small most likely for 7.1, but that's more dependent on space behind listener. Im thinking 4ft is a good minimum distance. Also, if the dimensions are correct, you are out of luck. A square room is the worst possible. do you have perhaps a large closet from which you can remove the doors? Well, anything to make it more rectangular than square.

It may be easy, it may be impossible, but put your ears at about 38% from the rear wall for the best avoidance of unwanted peaks and nulls. Again, that won't work magic in a square room, but will still help a tiny bit.

Ok. Choose speakers, then a sub, then your receiver. Just trust me on that please. You may only need $100 for the receiver.

off tip of my tongue, Im thinking $650 speakers, $350 sub, $100 receiver. I know, Im sorry, that's $1,100.

if you really need an HTIB, the 990 will be impossible to beat for the money, from all accounts.

Collapse -
more accurate room dimensions
by sporter86 / April 4, 2008 2:10 PM PDT

main room is 15'6"x12'

Collapse -
thanks
by sporter86 / April 4, 2008 2:12 PM PDT

thanks for your thoughts. if you have more detailed suggestions please let me know.

Collapse -
was just in your shoes a few years ago
by Brolix / April 4, 2008 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: $1000 home theater

I was in you exact situation a few years ago...college student...had an apartment, but had my home theater in the bedroom. After running through a few home theater systems in search of the perfect one,I ended up with the Onkyo 990 thx system and it is future proof perfection. it was extremely powerful to the point that, if played generously, it had mu neighbors angry with me. and now that i've finished college and got my own house, i keep the onkyo as my secondary system in the media room(had to get tower speakers for the house main setup) and it's still extremelyyyy powerful!!!! Take it from me, someone who was in your shoes and went through multiple systems; the 990 thx system will be the best choice

Collapse -
glad to hear your experience
by sporter86 / April 4, 2008 2:15 PM PDT

glad to hear of someone in very similar shoes being so satisfied-very comforting.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!