The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

$100 iPod Touch Price Drop

by doompod / February 20, 2008 12:18 AM PST

Engadget reports that there is a suspected $100 price drop for the iPod Touch model. Do you think they would drop the new 32GB iPod Touch from $499 to $399, the 16GB model from $399 to $299, and the 8GB model to $199?
I think that that they would keep the 8GB model but would only drop it to $249 as a temptation for those looking to purchased an 8GB iPod Nano. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: $100 iPod Touch Price Drop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: $100 iPod Touch Price Drop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) No one would buy it. Sony Cassette walkman 4 life!
by kwahhn / February 20, 2008 12:25 AM PST
Collapse -
Isn't the 8GB nano $200?
by paintguru / February 20, 2008 12:42 AM PST

As you said, why would they have an 8GB Nano and Touch at the same price point? I would think they would just ditch the 8GB Touch all together if that was the case.

Collapse -
What about the extra $50?
by doompod / February 20, 2008 1:00 AM PST

Don't you think that Apple would want consumers to buy the iPod Touch instead of the iPod Nano if they could because of the extra $50 that Apple gets and the fact that those people will possibly pay for apps that will be sold through iTunes?

Collapse -
Depends on the profit margin...
by paintguru / February 20, 2008 6:21 AM PST

I would almost think Apple is making more off an 8GB Nano vs. the 8GB Touch, even at today's prices. I think keeping a product around with 3 levels of memory is a bit of an overkill.

Collapse -
Capacity is Driving My Decision
by PressAnyKey / February 20, 2008 2:08 AM PST

I want the iPod Touch but it has to be able to store more than my 40GB iPod Color. It's good to see the price dropping and capacities rising but it's just not at the point where a better price alone will make me upgrade.

Collapse -
IF they drop the price
by minimalist / February 20, 2008 3:34 AM PST

they will have to drop them across the board (or leave the prices the same and up the capacity across the board). Their products are evenly distributed in 50 or 100 dollar increments from 50 bucks all the way to 500 dollars. To sell a 8 GB Touch for the same price as an 8Gb Nano is a marketing no-no.

I would not hold my breath though for this rumored price drop to happen anytime soon. Apple is not going to drop the price 2 weeks after they refreshed their line. Maybe in several months but 2 weeks is highly unlikely.

Collapse -
Hard Drive
by Renegade Knight / February 20, 2008 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: IF they drop the price

They need to put a hard drive in them. Oh wait, that's one of my End of Season predictions on what they replace the iPod Classic with...

Collapse -
Nice!
by PressAnyKey / February 20, 2008 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: Hard Drive

A 160GB iPod Touch. That would be sweet but I'm guessing the battery life would suuuuuuck!

Given the current trend of doubling the flash capacity every three to six months we may see a version with a 120GB flash drive before Christmas 2008...

Collapse -
Trend of Flash Memory...
by doompod / February 20, 2008 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: Nice!

I highly doubt that flash memory will be "affordable" for average consumers by this holiday season. The price of the so-called "double-capacity" iPod is $100 more than it's half-brother, the 16GB.
I say Apple will announce the price cut somewhere around the launch of iPhone2

Collapse -
Replace iPod Classic with touch...
by doompod / February 22, 2008 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Hard Drive

If Apple did decide to replace the iPod classic with the Touch, that would be one of their dumbest mistakes ever. I still prefer the Classic over the Touch because of the scroll wheel, which in my opinion is one of the best navigation tool around, along with the the 2G Zune touchpad, which is highly addictive. I purchased the Classic straight when it came out, being a previous 5G ipod owner. I returned it within a week due to the slow UI and problems with browsing photos, recording, etc. I bought the touch at the beginning of this year. I Love it and all, but I really hate having to pull it out to change a song, it is by far the worst music player of all. Video's excellent,and every part of the UI is outstanding, but there will always be that time where I don't want to pull it out of my pocket, which I have to say, the majority of the time.

Plus Zune Games (possibly with syncing capabilites to sync arcade titles from your 360 to your Zune) IS AWESOME! I just hope Apple's SDK will bring some game titles to the iPhone/iPod Touch. I have the NES, PSX, and GBA emulator for the Touch with a bunch of ROMS for each of them, but I rather play some arcade titles on my Zune then have to use that touchscreen. I keep kitting the wrong buttons, I've even hit the home button a couple of times and it doesn't save it very well. There really needs to be a lock the home button or something.

Collapse -
While not exactly comparable...
by ktreb / February 20, 2008 11:03 AM PST

Creative lowered the price of the Zen 32GB to $299. I'm not sure how much it was before - $349, maybe? So a $399 iPod Touch 32GB is possible. Apple will still want to charge a premium for the larger touch screen. It will probably happen along with an announcement of a 2nd gen iPhone. But I see the 8GB being phased out (I bought this one - I had the 16GB but exchanged it for the 8GB - used the extra cash to buy cases).

Collapse -
Nope.
by skellener / February 22, 2008 10:30 AM PST

You must know by now, Apple does not adjusted prices to match products of other corporations. They'll do it when it suits them.

Collapse -
Of course not
by ktreb / February 22, 2008 12:38 PM PST
In reply to: Nope.

I'm not suggesting that Apple will match their competitors. Just thinking a $399 32GB Touch is possible, which is still $100 more than Creative Zen 32GB.

Collapse -
(NT) If this happens, I gonna hurt my tongue pretty badly
by rafacst / February 20, 2008 9:19 PM PST
Collapse -
no more 8 gb
by eaglelaxer / February 25, 2008 8:03 AM PST

Some sites say there will be no 8gb model. I wish it would drop to $249 or $199, then i could actually afford it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?