Question

100% disk usage that normalises after about half an hour

Oct 28, 2016 12:40PM PDT

I have a problem with win 10 having 100% disk usage all the time with no application visible that would actually produce that kind of load (maybe 5-10MB/sec tops). I tried everything I could find online about this issue:
* disabling services like superfetch and windows search
* disabling MSI on harddrive
* disabling preloading in chrome
* setting the page file to manual
* turning off windows tips
* turning off windows defender

However the 100% usage at startup remains and the system is noticeably slower because of it. However, after about half an hour or so, the disk usage goes back to the normal 2-40% range. I'm guessing this means it's not a hrdware issue either, but I'm at a complete loss now. Can anyone give some advice?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 100% disk usage that normalises after about half an hour
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 100% disk usage that normalises after about half an hour
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Is The Computer Fully Updated?
Oct 28, 2016 1:48PM PDT

If the updating process is running at startup for long periods of time, it may mean the Windows Updates have failed to download and install. Have you checked to make sure all updates are downloaded and installed.

And what tool are you using to determine disk usage?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on October 28, 2016 2:34 PM PDT

- Collapse -
It downloads updates automatically
Oct 28, 2016 2:55PM PDT

Hi!

I just use the task manager to check disk usage. It would be at 100% but there is no process shown that would actually use up that many resources. I don't have the issue right now, as the system was on for several hours, but it shows that there is an update ready to install. Is it possible that the task manager doesn't actually see the process that is downloading the windows update, but only its disk usage?

- Collapse -
What version of Win 10
Oct 28, 2016 3:24PM PDT

do you have ?
If you have Win 10 pro or above , you can postpone installing updates but I have never tried to not download them .

- Collapse -
That's The Point.. It May Not Be Doing It Automatically...
Oct 28, 2016 5:01PM PDT

Open the Settings box, click on the "Update and Security" windows, then the "Windows Update" option, then click on "Check for Updates" button.. Do any updates show up? If so, then it's not updating correctly and the system slow down at startup could be caused by the inability to update.

And along that line, what else might be attempting to update? OneDrive? Dropbox? Maybe something else? Have you checked Task Scheduler?

And here, if I open Task Manager, then the "Performance" tab, under the "Disk 0 (C:)" display, mine comes up with 0% - 5% while idle. This system has a 1 TB Western Digital standard HDD.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on October 28, 2016 5:10 PM PDT

- Collapse -
Answer
turn off updates, till you are ready for them.
Oct 28, 2016 2:35PM PDT

Oh wait, this is windows 10. You CAN'T!

CNET Forums

Forum Info