Question

100% disk usage crash windows 10

My computer continually crashes after being on for just a few minutes any time I access just about anything online. I made a video of what happens when I open Steam as an example but also happens often when I stream movies or play games. I've tried many things including disabling Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Superfetch, and Windows Search in both registry and services. I'm going to try to upload the video which is all of 2 minutes long. Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 100% disk usage crash windows 10
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 100% disk usage crash windows 10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Video of crash happening
- Collapse -
Answer
You opened task manager

what was the program reported as using the CPU so much?

Check for overheating first, by booting into BIOS, and going to the Health area, or whatever it's called on your computer where the temperatures are. Let sit idle and watch the CPU temp, see if it goes over 60 C at idle, then it surely goes even higher after booting. While there set alarm to sound at any temp over 70 C.

Turn off heuristic scanning for your AV at startup and instead have it set to do during idle or lax times. Check for any other programs that would run immediately at startup which could slow things down a lot, any sort of drive scanner. Be sure to NOT have two AV running at the same time, or an AV and some Search program, both trying to control the hard drive aggressively.

I see the XPS case, do you know the motherboard model?

- Collapse -
Answer
Small world

Over the last month the office had a few of those. It took some sleuthing but the culprit was the Seagate drives. To make matters more fun the drives passed Seagate testing yet when we cloned the drives, all was well with the machines. I've written longer about this before so I keep it short now.

CNET Forums