Computer Help forum

General discussion

100% CPU Usage not utilizing memory

by apache07x / August 8, 2008 4:15 PM PDT

I have a Windows XP Professional computer. My question is about the 100% CPU usage it shows in Task Manager whenever I run any program. No matter what the program is.

It is a 3.40 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 with Hyper threading and I have 3GB of RAM. I do have the processor turned on and that has seemed to help a little bit. What really disturbs me and maybe it's just because I don't understand this computer, but as an example if I'm running Nero, the CPU will be at 100% but the memory it will be using is less than a GB around 700 to 750 MB. I do not understand why this computer is not using its memory more efficiently. Anyone have suggestions? It sits at idle and only uses from 0 to 8% CPU but as soon as I use a program the CPU spikes to 100%. There seems to be no spy ware or viruses on it and I run registry cleaner regularly. I'm stumped?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 100% CPU Usage not utilizing memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 100% CPU Usage not utilizing memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two things
by Jimmy Greystone / August 8, 2008 4:26 PM PDT

Two things:

1: Are you saying that when you run a program the CPU use jumps to 100% and then stays at that level for as long as the program is running, or does it eventually subside?

2: Registry cleaners are largely worthless programs. They save, at most, maybe a few kilobytes of memory, and they have the very real risk of wiping out some very important bit of data. They offer no real benefits in regards to system performance or stability.

Collapse -
What a CPU and memory each does.
by white-bread / August 8, 2008 4:33 PM PDT

The CPU functions as a mathmatical machine interpreting languages and giving the result as the program output.
The memory stores information as pages so that whatever is needed can be retrieved.
Processor speed is clock rate multiplied by stepping. E.G clock rate is 250mHz and stepping is 12, the speed is 3GHz.
You are using an OS which is not very memory efficient.

Collapse -
Sure about those Anti-Virus or Spyware scans?
by Dango517 / August 8, 2008 4:34 PM PDT

Try another freeware Spyware program. You can run more then one.

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4.html?qt=ad+aware&tag=srch&tg=dl-20

What is running? One is doing most of the damage. What is it? See task manager. If it's safe it might be looping because it is corrupted. Restart it if it's a service. Re-install it if it's a program you can re-install. If it's a Windows process and it is not a Trojan then this is bad news.

Collapse -
100% CPU Usage not utilizing memory
by apache07x / August 8, 2008 4:49 PM PDT

Yes my CPU is staying at 100% as long as the program is running. It may go down to 95% briefly but goes right back to 100%. Even opening up firefox would make it go to 100% before I turned hyper threading on although it would subside. Turning hyper threading on has noticeably sped it up but still not as fast as I feel it should be. My laptop with 1 GB of RAM and a 1.8 Mhz processor and the same programs installed is faster than this supposedly super fast desktop. I'm frustrated!

Collapse -
The bad news is
by Dango517 / August 8, 2008 5:06 PM PDT

if this is a corrupt Windows process then you start over with a clean install of the OS. Unfortunately the registry repair did you no good, some times these work sometimes not. Registry repair is a last resort. In some cases these actually cause the problem by removing OS functions in the registry.

This problem is well discussed here on Cnet and too date no good "work around" has been found if it is a OS problem. We need to know the process that is causing the problem. Click the CPU tab in task manager this will group them together so you can ID it.

Collapse -
I would say
by Jimmy Greystone / August 9, 2008 2:10 AM PDT

I would say that you need to go back and make sure about the no malware claim in a case like that. Make sure you've run multiple malware removal programs, not just one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.