Question

10.4 to snow leopard on G5 powerpc

right then, i've recently been given a G5 powerpc with 10.4.1 on it from a local university and aiming to install snow leopard onto it, will i run into any immediate problems? also as i got it from the university i don't know the authentication number, will it be impossible to install the software without this? sorry if these questions seem really obvious but i am a complete beginner with mac software.. input would be really appreciated
cheers
Jack

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 10.4 to snow leopard on G5 powerpc
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 10.4 to snow leopard on G5 powerpc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Yep, one BIG immediate problem

Snow Leopard does not run on the G5 processor, it requires an Intel processor.

The highest you can go with the G5 is 10.5.x

did you "borrow" Snow Leopard from the uni or did you buy it?

If purchased, try to get your money back.

P

- Collapse -
Thankyou

Thankyou for your help! luckily snow leopard hasnt arrived yet so i'll send it straight back.. this is all irrelevant now as the G5 mac won't even start now, an error message says that the proces cannot be found and it revvs up very high, i've decided i'll go and buy new one from apple, it's expensive but so much less hassle cheers!

- Collapse -
Good luck with the new one

you'll be glad you got it

- Collapse -
cheers

cheers Happy

CNET Forums