Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

10,000 Free MoodLogic Credits for HD5 owners.

by equazcion / October 29, 2005 9:03 AM PDT

If you know me even just from reading my forum posts, then you know that I'm in love with my Sony NW-HD5. And, just as Jahova's Witnesses, I arrogantly feel the need to convert all others to think, as I do, that the HD5 is a Godsend, a kind of Messiah, sent to deliver the intelligent among us from iPod bondage.

In that spirit, when I find new evidence of HD5 superiority over all other forms of portable audio electronics, I must preach it to the people.

I just found out about a Sony/MoodLogic promotion that's apparently no longer advertised, but can still be obtained.

It happened while I was looking at the Sony support download site. For the HD5, one of the listed downloads was MoodLogic. This seemed out-of place, since I couldn't remember Sony and MoodLogic ever promoting each other. So I tried installing it and finding out what I could.

If you've ever tried MoodLogic before, you know that it's a pretty nifty doohicky. If not, in short, MoodLogic is a program that was orignially made to be a plug-in for Winamp, but can now be used on its own. It identifies music files in your collection based NOT on their filenames or ID3 tags (artist/title info) but on the actual music data itself. So even if you have a file with completely wrong tags and filenames, MoodLogic can still identify what song the file contains. It can then automatically fix all your files so that the filenames and/or ID3 tags show the correct information.

Not only does MoodLogic identify the song, but it also contains ''mood'' information about each song (hence the software title). Each song is rated based on its tempo, how ''upbeat'' it is, aggessiveness, etc, and the software can use any combination of these to organize, group, and create playlists of songs in an intelligent way. Pretty cool stuff, and very practical in use, I can tell you.

The problem is that the way MoodLogic gathers its data on songs is from users. See, the amount of song files you can identify automatically with MoodLogic is limited to the amount of ''credits'' you have. You earn credits either by paying for them, or by manually ''profiling'' some of your song files. This involves filling out an interactive form where you rate different aspects of the music (while the song is conveniently played for you in the background). Profiling a song (accurately) takes about 2 minutes each, and I believe you earn 2 credits per song. For people with large collections, this can get time consuming.

So here's how to get 10,000 free credits. Hehe.

If you bought/buy a Sony NW-HD5, or in fact ANY Sony portable audio device, you are entitled to 10,000 free MoodLogic credits. I'll tell you in advance though that this did not work for me when I first did it, but upon emailing MoodLogic support, they responded within one business day, the problem was fixed, and I had my credits.

First you need to register your device with Sony. Just go to their website. Easy.

Then, go to MoodLogic.com and get the software. You'll also need to create an account with MoodLogic, with you normally do during the installation of the software.

Next, go here: http://my.moodlogic.net/sony/register2004.do

I had a ****** of a time finding this site. I actually had to photoshop a screenshot that I found in a FAQ, of a browser that had that page open. You're welcome.

Fill in your MoodLogic account info and your Sony device's serial number.

If it doesn't work (my error message was ''Please correct the following errors: The specified account is not eligible for this offer (1).''), go here: http://my.moodlogic.net/support.jsp

Tell them your story. Here's the message I sent that got a quick response. Feel free to use it:

----
I purchased a Sony (insert your device name) and I am attempting to unlock the free MoodLogic ''Tag Fixing'' that I am supposed to be entitled to. I installed SonicStage and MoodLogic on my home PC, and registered my product via Sony's website. According to the Moodlogic/Sony FAQ,
which I found at:

http://www.moodlogic.net/sony/faqs.html

the unlock code should have been included in my registration confirmation email. It was not. The FAQ also states that MoodLogic should display a link in the ''Messages'' view that would send me to the unlock page. It did not. I found the page myself though, at:

http://my.moodlogic.net/sony/register2004.do

where my entitlement was confirmed, as it states on top:

''As a Sony portable audio customer, you are entitled to a special value: FREE ID3 tag fixing on up to 10,000 MP3 files!''

Having already registered with Sony, and not having any unlock code, the page and the FAQ say I can use my product's serial number as the unlock code. I tried this, along with my MoodLogic screen name. Upon submitting that form, I was sent right back to the unlock page, with a message saying:

''Please correct the following errors: The specified account is not eligible for this offer (1).''

with no further explanation or information.

I bought a Sony portable audio product, I downloaded and installed all required software, I have a moodlogic screen name and I submitted all of the required information. Why is this not working?

Product model:
Serial Number:
MoodLogic screen name:

I greatly appreciate any help you can provide in order to correct this. Thank you.
---

Enjoy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 10,000 Free MoodLogic Credits for HD5 owners.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 10,000 Free MoodLogic Credits for HD5 owners.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.