HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

1,500 Homing Pigeons Get Lost During Race...

by Blake Cook / July 22, 2004 5:12 AM PDT

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) - Organizers of a race for homing pigeons were still scratching their heads in wonder Thursday after about 1,500 of the birds, famous for their ability to find their way home, went missing during the contest.

Of the 2,000 pigeons let loose last week, only about 500 have returned to their lofts after the 150-kilometer (93 mile) flight between the cities of Ljungby and Malmoe in southern Sweden, said Lars-Aake Nilsson of the Malmoe Homing Pigeon Club.

"The weather was perfect - no rain, no thunder and no strong winds," he said.

In past races, the birds, all of which sport electronic identification tags around their feet, made the journey in about two hours.

But at Sunday's race, something went wrong.

"I have worked with pigeons since 1960 and have never experienced anything like this," Nilsson said, adding that the birds might have been thrown off course by subtle changes in the earth's magnetic field.

More...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1,500 Homing Pigeons Get Lost During Race...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1,500 Homing Pigeons Get Lost During Race...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) They didn't have to fly over a gun club, did they? ;-)
by Cindi Haynes / July 22, 2004 5:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: that was really clever
by Mary Kay / July 22, 2004 8:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's called a squab air buffet!
Collapse -
Check out PBS latest on Magnetism.
by James Denison / July 22, 2004 5:25 AM PDT

The earth's magnetic poles may be getting ready to do a flip flop in this millenium. During this time anomalies will increase in size and frequency. I satellite captured information of the earth's magnetic field on that day might show a possible explanation. Notice also this is a very northern country and the anomalies are greatest at the polar regions.

Or it could just be the pigeons all heard about Sweden's laws allowing bestiality and decided to get the 'ell outa there.

Collapse -
Magnetoreceptors
by James Denison / July 23, 2004 2:49 AM PDT
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/M/Magnetoreceptors.html

Some examples:

* Homing pigeons become disoriented when magnets are placed at the sides of their head. However, this disorientation occurs only on cloudy days, suggesting that their ability to navigate by magnetic cues is a backup system. * Woodmice, taken from their home territory to a new location 40 m away, normally orient toward home (left side of figure). But if, while they are being moved, they are exposed to a magnetic field that is just the reverse of the earth's magnetic field ? and they are not allowed to see the surrounding terrain ? they orient away from their home (right side of figure).
Collapse -
Re: 1,500 Homing Pigeons Get Lost During Race...
by Rolway / July 22, 2004 8:41 AM PDT

They might be Republican Pigeons on their way to Boston to....well, you know what pigeons do.

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: something about the pecking order :-)
by Mary Kay / July 22, 2004 9:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: (NT) Re: They are also party poopers too MK :-)
by Rolway / July 22, 2004 9:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hmm, SE comedians are "winging" routines again :-)
by Steven Haninger / July 22, 2004 11:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: In a BIG way
by Mary Kay / July 22, 2004 11:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hey, I found those pigeons.
by James Denison / July 22, 2004 1:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL :-)
by Blake Cook / July 22, 2004 2:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Hey, I found those pigeons.
by Mary Kay / July 22, 2004 11:47 PM PDT

And on the subject of power plants. it was our power plant here in Ohio that was blamed for last summer's mega power outage. Just wanted to warn you. We have had several unexplained outages here recently . So get your candles ready and stay close to home Happy

Collapse -
What's 'Shoo, pigeons!' in Swedish?
by Paul C / July 23, 2004 5:24 AM PDT

I really think I need to know...;)

Collapse -
Re: What's 'Shoo, pigeons!' in Swedish?
by Rolway / July 23, 2004 6:26 AM PDT

Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy??? Sorry I really don't know Paul, but thats all I can think of. Confused

George

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.