Computer Help forum

General discussion

0x5ad71531

by Maxxx33 / February 10, 2007 10:05 AM PST

For about the last month or so, I get a message when i'm simply closing out IE that reads......."the application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down" Upon clicking OK, I get the message...The instruction at "0x5ad71531" referenced memory at "0x00000014" the memory could not be "read" This happens probably 10-20% of the time when I shut down IE.

If I don't immediately acknowledge the error with "ok" then I have to actually unplug the computer to get it to do anything. It will not restart, switch user, or anything at all. It just sits there with a blank screen.

I'm not running any special applications or programs at the time, just simply closing out on IE with the "x"

I'm running XP SP2, 128MB ATI Hyper Memory PCI-Express X16 (DVI/VGA/TV Out) Radeon X300 SE, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz with media center 2005. And it's a Dell XPS 400 if that would make any difference.

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 0x5ad71531
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 0x5ad71531
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Tried?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 10:22 AM PST
In reply to: 0x5ad71531

...a Google search for that error message? See the link below for lots of possiblities:

Google Search for "the application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down"

You might also check to see if other programs conflicts, antivirus, antispyware, etc. are causing the problem with Internet Explorer.

If the error is only showing when closing Internet Explorer, you might also "repair" Internet Explorer. Do it by reinstalling XP Service Pack 2.. If you've got the SP2 CD, then run it again. If you don't, then download the full installer package from the link below. (It's a large download, about 260 MB, so you'll need a broadband connection.)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
0x5ad71531 ref'd memory at 0x00000014
by lfunston / March 2, 2007 9:53 PM PST

I am also having this problem on my Dell E1705 with Windows XP home. I have searched in vain at the MS support site for any info related to this. Did reloading help, or is there a simpler "hot fix" that you have found to succesfully resolve this problem?

Collapse -
Adobe Acrobat Reader Conflict
by hm4321 / March 14, 2007 7:14 PM PDT

There is a conflict between Acrobat Reader 7.0 (including 7.01) and Office 2003 on Windows XP whereby there will be an application crash in AcroRd32.exe with on-screen error upon system shutdown or logoff. It does not matter if the user is an admin or not. We've been able to isolate the conflict between Acrobat Reader 7 and Office 2003 on XP down to a sub-component of one of the Office tools. By leaving out the "web debugging" portion of the "HTML Source Editing" tool, we can no longer reproduce the problem. Note this only happens if the Acrobat Reader is configured to open PDFs in-line as AcroRd32.exe hangs out in memory even after IE is closed.

Provided on 4/19/2005 by BiteMe
http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=404

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.