General discussion

'02 GMC brake issues

What a PITA issue to fix. 1st, I got the ABS stutter where it fights me, but heck it costs big bucks to replace even if rebuild, plus its in the worst place for shade tree mechanic to work on. I've gotten used to it, so I prepare to stop. Yeah, I know remove the fuse to get by.

Next, the 4-wheel disc brakes, sheeeeez what a PITA. I had to replace the rear rotors and the brackets too because it seizes or doesn't have the free play for the pads to withdraw. Now, the front brakes are experiencing the same issue, the pads can't withdraw. I replaced the pads and brackets there too. I didn't replace the rotors as i hoped they were OK. Nope, the one side warped or has to be as it grasps, now and then at low speed. Well, I'll drive it around for a while until I have some $ to replace the rotors too. All this on a p/u, 1/2ton, 4X2 all wheel disc brakes. I never had so many problems with brakes on any vehicle I've owned but for this one. Now, i know why the brackets are sold for brakes and you have to include the h/w too. As another item that peeves me is the rear dust shield on one side is completely rusted away. I mean, if all this is happening, I have to think what other GM products are bound to have these issues too. I do know the rear disc brakes had problems ever since they 1st offered them.

I have to admit, I do like to drive the p/u, but I lust for old Ford p/u, plain and simple. -----Willy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: '02 GMC brake issues
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: '02 GMC brake issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums